Mullet watch 2005

Guest sslatter

Snatcher:

Never tried for them in Luce Bay this year yet but last week seen a small school of them "syphoning" the surface more or less at my feet.

There was no apparent foodstuff on the surface,any ideas?

They often suck at the surface feeding on the thin film of detrius that floats there and can just about be seen in dead calm conditions.

When I've come across mullet pre-occupied with feeding like that, they have proved impossible to tempt with anything else.

Tight Lines - leon

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

• Replies 360
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Snatcher:

PeterM try giving the local tackle dealer near the Crouch estuary a bell, I am sure he can give you sound advice.

Let us know how you get on mate and tight lines.

Told you that all sea anglers are not morons,just most of them        

Thaks for the advice i caught some mullet in spain a few years ago, the crouch is the nearest place to me need to get planning.

take a look at my blog

http://chubcatcher.blogspot.co.uk/

Keep plucking away at this thread Peter M and I am sure someone will give you some spot on info.

Come on all you mullet experts Peter wants to start mullet fishing what approach would you advise first?

Floatfished bread,maggots sweetcorn.?

Catty out some bread and see if anyone is at home?

I am not a mullet expert,I bow to your collective knowledge chaps

Fishing digs on the Mull of Galloway - recommend

HERE

babyforavatar.jpg

Me when I had hair

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy

Thanks to a phone call from Phil the Fish, I actually went fishing with him today, and had my first mullet of the season.

1.5lbs (I'm not complaining, it was a scrappy little fish)

Phil had a bigger one :)

PeterM, have a look at Mullet FAQS

TL - leon

RNLI Shoreline Member

Tried for Mullet from rolling mills jetty, southampton water. First time. Blanked but had 2 nibbles. Was strangely happy with that. Seen them cruising the jetty super structure the week before.

Lowered a bag of bread and floated a no8 hook with bread next to it on 8lb fluoro line. Rod is a new Daiwa 10g-50g 10ft spinning rod. Did I do anything wrong? All tips gratefully received.

Fished since 2003, the rest of my life I just wasted.

Southampton, Scupper Pro TW Angler: Yarak2.

Member of the OK fishing Team ( I have had free bits) :-)

darnsarf:

Tried for Mullet from rolling mills jetty, southampton water.  First time. Blanked but had 2 nibbles. Was strangely happy with that. Seen them cruising the jetty super structure the week before.

Lowered a bag of bread and floated a no8 hook with bread next to it on 8lb fluoro line. Rod is a new Daiwa 10g-50g 10ft spinning rod.  Did I do anything wrong?  All tips gratefully received.

I would be inclined to use a lighter hooklength, 4-6lb, to tempt more confident bites.

And you would probably need a rod with a softer tip to prevent hook pulls and breakage (especially with the lighter hooklength).

Tight Lines - leon

RNLI Shoreline Member

Thanks Leon. I do have a lighter spinning rod somewhere. Either that or buy a new one :D

Fished since 2003, the rest of my life I just wasted.

Southampton, Scupper Pro TW Angler: Yarak2.

Member of the OK fishing Team ( I have had free bits) :-)