Mullet watch 2005

Guest sslatter

• Replies 360
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Normal black flies sometimes work when the mullet are feeding on them at certain times of the year. But like Leon says mullet will not be fooled by a white fly that doesn't have that unique scent and texture of bread. In Spain the mullet are less timid and you can sometimes get away with a little more.

But I do know people such as Andy B who have tried the artifical bread in Spain with little success!

• 2 weeks later...

Went out yesterday for the first time for ages due to weather conditions. Hooked up yet another fish but yet again couldn't hold it and it escaped past the pontoons and breaked off under some boats some 50 yards out.

I think my abu enticer 10ft rod just isn't up to the job when it comes to bigger fish. I thing I need some more power to take the runs out of the fish.

I am using 8lb Tri line with 8lb vantage fluo which surely should be enough. This is the third big fish I've lost and feeling a bit despondant. Any idea what rod and tackle would be good to try and hold these bigger fish. I have seen a 12ft soft barbel rod at my local tackle shop which mean't be better? Any thoughts?

Maybe I'll just borrow that boat rod you use for mullet Dave!

WeymouthSean:

Went out yesterday for the first time for ages due to weather conditions. Hooked up yet another fish but yet again couldn't hold it and it escaped past the pontoons and breaked off under some boats some 50 yards out.

I think my abu enticer 10ft rod just isn't up to the job when it comes to bigger fish. I thing I need some more power to take the runs out of the fish.I am using 8lb Tri line with 8lb vantage fluo  

which surely should be enough. This is the third big fish I've lost and feeling a bit despondant. Any idea what rod and tackle would be good to try and hold these bigger fish. I have seen a 12ft soft barbel rod at my local tackle shop which mean't be better? Any thoughts?

Maybe I'll just borrow that boat rod you use for mullet Dave!

:cool: :cool: I use a 30 year old 12ft 2.5lb TC carp rod that's gone soft over the years with an ABU Cardinal 55 with 10lb braid and wychwood fluro for ledgering and a 13ft match rod for float fishing with 6lb fluro but only where there's loads of space to play them. :D

You need a rod with plenty of power down towards the butt to stop a fish from reaching snags, but with a soft tip to absorb sudden runs and dives, without causing hook pulls or line breaks, especially when using light lines and small hooks to buy bites.

A lot of match rods don't have the power further down, but then a lot of powerful rods don't have that 'forgiveness' of a soft tip.

Tight Lines - leon

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

Leon Roskilly:

You need a rod with plenty of power down towards the butt to stop a fish from reaching snags, but with a soft tip to absorb sudden runs and dives, without causing hook pulls or line breaks, especially when using light lines and small hooks to buy bites.

A lot of match rods don't have the power further down, but then a lot of powerful rods don't have that 'forgiveness' of a soft tip.

Tight Lines - leon

:cool: That's why I use a 30 year old rod Leon, haven't found a better one yet. :D

Matt Baldwin had his first Medway fish tonight a 3lb specimen, I will let him post the story; but he is feeling mighty chuffed with himself.

Well done Matt.

Tony

[ 29. July 2005, 11:41 PM: Message edited by: Tony U ]

Tony

After a certain age, if you don't wake up aching in every joint, you are probably dead.

I use a 12 foot horizon persute 2.5 t/c, 6lb line.Some people think this is to heavey but when larger fish are hooked at least I can have faith in my tackle. Ive landed mullet to 7lb on this gear, and upping my line to 10lb have landed smoothounds to 11lb.

BASS MEMBER

IGFA Member.

Supporting ethical angling practices and wise use and conservation of fishery resources!

SACN Member.

NFSA Member.

Getting confused by politics!

MY LIST IS LONGER THAN YOURS!

Hi Lads.

Yes very chuffed in deed. But all thanks have to go to Tony for organising the trip and landing the fish.

Strange though as it was in the net within about 3 minutes, just flapped around on the top a bit more, but now i got the Mullet bug, im ready to get a few more before the season ends.

I shall post the pic now.

matt

Hia's All