Mullet watch 2005

Guest sslatter

• Replies 360
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are Mullet showing in the River Clyde in Glasgow City Centre. Apparently the area around the Renfrew ferry is quite productive just now.

Mackerel skin (just the skin) seems to be the bait of choice.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

Matt

Don’t forget to get your dad to phone you regularly during the session, It works better than a bread bag.

Tony :D:D:D

[ 30. July 2005, 11:01 PM: Message edited by: Tony U ]

Tony

After a certain age, if you don't wake up aching in every joint, you are probably dead.

"Just flapped around on the top a bit..."

Yes, some mullet do that. I give them a chance to "get their act together" and start fighting properly because I'd rather they expended energy by fighting in the water, thereby making them more controllable on the unhooking mat (this from a fish welfare viewpoint). Some don't, though - no matter how long you give them, they just splash about on the surface. Such behaviour is not typical, however, and most fight long and hard. Fortunately, they don't fight intelligently - I say "fortunately" because it would be the difficult side of impossible to prevent a fresh-hooked big mullet reaching pier piles, rocks, weed and other snags if it really tried to do so.

Anyway, well done Matthew. Now you're "off the mark" with Medway mullet, more fish will doubtless follow.

NICE ONE Matt, well done.

BASS MEMBER

IGFA Member.

Supporting ethical angling practices and wise use and conservation of fishery resources!

SACN Member.

NFSA Member.

Getting confused by politics!

MY LIST IS LONGER THAN YOURS!

FAO Leon. I know you used to fish the River Ayr etc. for Mullet in the past.

I'd like to know if you fancy coming up to Scotland again for a session/blether/bit of banter sometime. You seem to be the man in the know and I'd love some coaching from an old hand at this game.

If anyone else fancies a crack at some Mullet, do let me know. I'd like to try for these Mullet showing in the city centre but I'm willing to try anywhere within reasonable travelling distance from Glasgow.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

Hi Andy,

Sorry, I've no plans at the moment for making it back to Scotland soon.

(Next year, Brenda wants to go to see some relatives in Cape Cod, so I guess that I'll have to go fishing for striped bass instead :( ( :) ))

You might come across Dave Smith who is the expert at fishing at Ayr.

There are some good sized mullet to be had there.

Tight Lines - leon

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

Took another two fish since last message one about 2 1/2 lb the other 4lb. The monster is still there though and I almost tempted it on the surface again!

I am going to try my 12 feet carp rod on the beast. At least you can have more faith that it is going to hold it! The fish is still feeding well and seems to come on just as the tide is dropping. I have seen kids feeding it with bread like a tamed animal at times as well!

Also I did catch the 4lb fish in a rain storm which dispelled my myth that mullet go off the feed in the rain.

WeymouthSean:

Also I did catch the 4lb fish in a rain storm which dispelled my myth that mullet go off the feed in the rain.

er, never heard of that one!

In fact my favourite mullet fishing weather is heavy showers on a warm day, with towering cumulus clouds.

I remember netting Phil the Fish's first mullet at Rochester, during a horrendous shower!

That was fun!

Tight Lines - leon

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust