Grayling fishing

Guest tigger

The record is only 4lb3oz, so in terms of % of the record weight it's the like a 3lb roach. Maybe not directly comparable, though.

I'm not sure if there is an area thing going on here, but there is no way a 3lb grayling would compare with a 3lb roach for me. I would be over the noon with a 2lb roach, yet a 2lb grayling wouldn't ever have me look for the camera.

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've only fished for Grayling for the last two seasons (never having caught one before) previous to this and both myself and friends have caught quite a number of 3lb plus Grayling between us. Beacause of this I assumed a 3lb Grayling was a common thing. I must have struck lucky with the stretch of river I've been fishing. One of my friends has been fishing there for around 15yrs and reckons the river yoused to be bursting with Dace and plenty of nice sized Chub (his best Chub being just over 6lb) and just a few Grayling. Now there's no sign of Dace or Chub whatsoever, there just seems to be Trout, Salmon, Grayling and an odd Pike in the river.

Strewth - where is the heaven? I've been after a 3lb+ grayling for nearly a decade - only ever had 2 over 2¾lb - fish of 2.13 (caught this season) and a PB of 2.15 (sooo close!!! :rolleyes: ) from 2002...

C.

"Study to be quiet." ><((º> My Blog

I've only fished for Grayling for the last two seasons (never having caught one before) previous to this and both myself and friends have caught quite a number of 3lb plus Grayling between us. Beacause of this I assumed a 3lb Grayling was a common thing. I must have struck lucky with the stretch of river I've been fishing. One of my friends has been fishing there for around 15yrs and reckons the river yoused to be bursting with Dace and plenty of nice sized Chub (his best Chub being just over 6lb) and just a few Grayling. Now there's no sign of Dace or Chub whatsoever, there just seems to be Trout, Salmon, Grayling and an odd Pike in the river.

I completely understand that. It took me about a fortnight of targeting roach, to the exclusion of any of any other species, to catch a fish of 2.25lbs and my mate caught one at 2.75lbs. We thought they were nice but we were catching so many over a pound, we thought our captures were largely quite common and thought little of it. Because of this, we don't have any pictures and now, after reading about proper roach anglers saying they've been trying for a 2lber for 2 decades etc. I kind of feel like a bit of git for even mentioning it and that's why I've offered my time for anyone travelling round Glasgow a chance to try for some, or at least a good crack at a decent bag or a PB.

It's much the same with dace. I hate to say this but we took about 30 dace around the 12oz mark, possibly larger, from the White Cart one day and stuck them in the freezer for pike-bait. We had a furious day's fishing but they were so easy to catch and so abundant, we didn't give it a seconds thought and again, I've since heard that even half pound dace are pretty rare. I couldn't offer the same chance at the dace though because we've since been back and it would appear they've moved on elsewhere and I'm not entirely sure what time of year we caught them. I'd say Easter time if I had to guess but I honestly couldn't be sure. The roach aren't going anywhere though, except down the throats of the odd pike or cormorant.

Edited by Andy Macfarlane

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...