New To Sea Fishing

Danny K

I am new to sea fishing and wondered what kind of rod and tackle i would need to fish off a pier or off the beach, i only want smallish fish like flatties and have seen a shakespeare rod made for flatfish, has anyone used one and whats it like ?? :)

It depends what you REALLY want to do, beach fishing will soon progress from the flatties and on to the Codling in the winter, as well as Whiting and so on, so a rod meant just for flattie bashing will be little use to you then, but a cheap set up approx £45.00 for that you should get a 12' Beachcaster and a Reel, this will do for all round fishing, keep to standard rigs in the early days such as the 2 boomed type, use a 4 or 5oz grip lead and away you go, this set up will last you a few years on the beach, but if you get in to it then you will find that you wil progress pretty fast.

As for the Pier rod, you can use your beach caster or even but a cheap boat rod but use your Reel and rigs from the beach caster, as you are a newbie at the sport take time out to speak to other guys on the beach most will be happy to help you out, I carry spare rigs and happily give them to newbies as well as pass on any hints or tips, even leant my mag elite to a guy who was having problems with his reel, do a search for a local website and see if they do fish and meets, I introduced these in my local area and they are a great success, anglers travel from all over the place and are happy to give casting tips and all sorts of information to people like yourself, but the main thing to remember is to have fun while you learn.

good Luck

Chris

Chris is of course quite right!! But however in my humble opinion it all comes down to how much you can afford and how serious you are!!??

I have just returned from Ireland laden down with some tackle (All Abu) and am going to sell on e-bay, however if you are wanting something I will also be selling some of my old tackle as well. By old I mean last years Conolon etc!!

Chris

Chris Goddard

It is to be observed that 'angling' is the name given to fishing by people who can't fish.

If GOD had NOT meant us to go fishing, WHY did he give us arms then??

(If you can't help out someone in need then don't bother my old Dad always said! My grandma put it a LITTLE more, well different! It's like peeing yourself in a black pair of pants she said! It gives you a LOVELY warm feeling but no-one really notices!))

Danny. Hello to you.

Both previous posts ring true. It depends on how much you want to spend experimenting.

I have been suprised by Ron Thomson rods? Real cheapos? No. I paid £50 for one of their spinning rods. It certainly doesn`t match one of Julian Shambrooks rods, but for the price it comes a damn close second?

I`d advise you to go for one of their cheapo range? Well you get a rod plus reel for about £40. You`ll soon know if you like sea fishing. Because you`ll either start catching fish and want something a tad better. Or you`ll decide that it isn`t for you?

I spent all my youth stalking brook trout in Wales. I used to wonder what all the plonkers with `Broomstick rods and meat mincer reels` were enjoying at sea?

I now enjoy all aspects of angling.

Don`t go over the top with your first outfit! You probably won`t be able to be in control of it, and it may just put you off an extremely enjoyable aspect of fishing.

A cheapo can be discarded with enthusiasm. The `Bees Knees`, will only lead to heartache and a depleted wallet?

Give it a try.

Paul.

We don`t use J`s anymore!!

Ive had a look at those Ron Thompson rod and reels, they look decent 12ft beachcaster, Okuma 80 reel and it takes 2-8 oz, pretty good in my opinion and you get free line and u pay £5.50 for terminal tackle this is quite good for someone like myself that wants to start sea fishing on a budget and seen so im only 15 i cant go spending £100 on fishing gear.... :cool: