over fishing

Guest jay_con

We're not here 24 hours a day for your amusement. Some of us - no, sorry, all of us - have lives away from here.

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest jay_con

Edit note - stuff removed by me.

Comment to winter/summer/whatever - you make a good point about the overfishing situation but be civil or take it somewhere else. - Newt

[ 15. May 2004, 01:57 AM: Message edited by: Newt ]

quote:

7 months quota in one haul. one years quota in a day (allegedly) and the boat continues fishing for the rest of the year. why is this allowed to happen
Have you tried telling Greenpeace or Friends of the Earth? I don't understand it myself, if you break the law and are caught, you should be punished. Or is that too straightforward?

Why isn't this kind of crime a police matter? Why can't the crew be arrested and/or have their ship impounded.

Take some photos or video footage mate, please!! I am sure you need real hard evidence to take it further.

[ 15. May 2004, 09:20 PM: Message edited by: Lid ]

Guest jay_con

Im not one hundred percent certain, but reliably informed that DEFRA did cross checks on records of sales by trawlers and records of fish bought by processing companies and found huge discrepencies (allegedly). Unfortunately nothing appears to have come of it.

I have a close friend who used to work for the trawler companies. he told me his job was to transport black fish fromt the boats to a factory where private markets were held. this fish was never registered on a quota. it passed from boat to buyer in the middle of the night when the only defra employee here was tucked up in his bed.

If I presented the hard evidence which I know I can obtain I would probably be gagged and thrown in my local estuary.

It is not a police matter, I am informed DEFRA are responsible for enforcement of the law.

Also would like to say sorry to elton, but your comment about not been here for my amusement really got up my nose

Guest jay_con

I was wondering about contacting the inland revenue. I wondered if tax is paid on black fish income?????

It takes serious amounts of work to put proper pressure on the government and after that, if successful, to rehab the fishery. But it can be done.

Catalina Island off Southern California at one time had a terrific bass fishery. Netters managed to destroy it to the point that catching a bass there was almost unheard of and the occasion one was small.

In the early 90s a group of anglers managed to get commercial fishing of that area stopped. They then started a restocking program using mostly volunteer anglers to raise bass to release size and then to release them in that area.

Took about 10 years but now there is again an outstanding bass fishery in that area with 15 lb fish fairly common and the occasional 20 being caught.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

From a report by the Tony Blair's Strategy Unit last month (on page 161)

'Fisheries departments should review the evidence supporting arguments for re-designating commercially caught species for wholly recreational sea angling, beginning with bass by the end of 2004.'

full report at:

http://www.number-10.gov.uk/su/fish/index.htm

Tight Lines - leon

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

Guest jay_con

everyone here should write to ben bradshawe asking what he is doing to stop landing black fish on thee yorkshire coast. and also send a copy of that letter to franz fischler at the european commission in brussels.