Any walkers out there ?

RobStubbs

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rob have a look at www.go4awalk.com it is quite a good site and you can download maps from it if you join but it's only £15

Sorry I can't be of more help

lyn

Lyn,

I have looked at that site and it does look quite good - I'll think about joining it. There are however a few 'pay for the route' sites and it's difficult to see which may be best. There are quite a few good ones with free maps, routes (including GPS waypoints) and descriptions. Plus we have a couple of books now, including the pathfinder one, which looks very good.

Get the GPS. You'll quickly fall in love with it.

Umm yep I'm sure I will, being a gadget fan, but I'm trying to justify the expense - not that they're too pricey now. My phone has GPS built in but it appears to be of limited use - unless I buy some software for it - in which case though I'd rather buy the walking specific GPS unit (and that would probably be cheaper than buying the software and the detailed maps) :unsure:.

Rob.

Edited by RobStubbs

My phone will take photos.

I still prefer to use a camera.

My phone has GPS.

I still prefer to use a purpose built one in my truck and a purpose built one in my boat.

You can use a lorrie for trips to the grocery store but it is not the best tool for the job.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

My phone will take photos.

I still prefer to use a camera.

My phone has GPS.

I still prefer to use a purpose built one in my truck and a purpose built one in my boat.

You can use a lorrie for trips to the grocery store but it is not the best tool for the job.

All very true, and I totally agree. Like you I also have an in car sat nav - but it'd be useless to take walking with me.

Oh and most importantly, us boys want lots of 'neat' toys not one multifunctional gadget. Especially when the one gadget does lots of thing OK, but none of them really well :nerd:

Rob.

All very true, and I totally agree. Like you I also have an in car sat nav - but it'd be useless to take walking with me.

Oh and most importantly, us boys want lots of 'neat' toys not one multifunctional gadget. Especially when the one gadget does lots of thing OK, but none of them really well :nerd:

Rob.

Hi rob,

You cant be to careful, best research and plan you walks, the Cairngoms and the Aviemore claim a number of life’s each year to the un prepaired.

Try this web site, its great for grading your walks, you can see routes plotted to maps with walk difficulty graded together with distance and expected walk time.

http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/cairngorms/aviemore.shtml

Cheers,

Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught.

Wild Angler

Hi rob,

You cant be to careful, best research and plan you walks, the Cairngoms and the Aviemore claim a number of life’s each year to the un prepaired.

Try this web site, its great for grading your walks, you can see routes plotted to maps with walk difficulty graded together with distance and expected walk time.

http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/cairngorms/aviemore.shtml

Cheers,

Yep, found that one before and it looks like another useful resource. One of the biggest unanswered questions is which walks will be in (above) the snowline in April. Unfortunately impossible to tell in advance I know, but that will influence our plans significantly.

Rob.

Yep, found that one before and it looks like another useful resource. One of the biggest unanswered questions is which walks will be in (above) the snowline in April. Unfortunately impossible to tell in advance I know, but that will influence our plans significantly.

Rob.

At the risk of teaching granny to suck eggs, here a my 2 bits worth. A GPS is a useful aid to navigation, but is not a substitute for a good compass, a good map and the ability to use them both correctly. Be aware of magnetic anomalies , the Cairngorms have many and they can affect your compass bearings by 3 to 7 degrees in some places.

Don't trust any GPS in a whiteout and don't trust the altitude reading from a GPS. Both maps and GPS systems can have errors and inconsistencies. It would not be the first time that someone walked over the edge of a cliff due to a combination of an error in the map and a erroneos position from their GPS.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

What phone do you have Rob? There's some decent mapping software out there for windows mobile devices.

No substitute for a proper outdoorsy GPS (phones don't like wind, rain and mud, most 'proper' gps units are fairly robust) but if it's just for checking headings and getting to waypoints, it might be an alternative to buying a seperate unit

post-7059-1227549516_thumb.jpg

Hope I’ve managed to insert the photo and hope that this keeps the interest going. This is how the cairngorm hills looked last weekend.

cheers

Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught.

Wild Angler

This is how the cairngorm hills looked last weekend.

cheers

When a` the hills are covered wi` snaw, I`m sure it`s winter fairly.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote