Might be worth a watch

Ken L

Today on BBC Four from 9:05pm to 9:55pm

My Halcyon River

"A typical British waterway is explored, revealing the habits of otters as they hunt on the midnight current, mink waiting to pounce on unwary victims and kingfishers ready to spear their prey. Narrated by John James."

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

Nice one Ken, thanks for the heads-up I thoroughly enjoyed it, I had no idea that Kingfishers could engage in a fight to the death like that.

Our perception of time as an orderly sequence of regular ticks and tocks has no relevance here in the alternative dimension that is fishing....... C.Yates

good spot ken l ,the action was every bit as enthralling as any documentary in africa.the mink stalking the duck and ducklings at night was my particular favourite.if anything the programme was too short which is my only criticism.

The salary of the chief executive of a large corporation is not a market award for achievement. It is frequently in the nature of a warm personal gesture by the individual to himself.

John Kenneth Galbraith

Brilliant link Ken. Many thanks for the heads up!

I have to agree with Hembo....it was far too short!

I don't know how long it took to shoot it, but they must be applauded for the fabulous shots of the kingfishers. I see them regularly, and they fly by in a flash. God only knows how long it took them to get those shots. Some stunning photography there.

I thought the music was rather out of place and intrusive at times, but somehow it all worked together to make an excellent programme. The commentary struck just about the right tone.

Altogether an excellent programme.

Janet

i now know how to pronounce halcyon. i watched it with subtitles and the tracklistings for the music was very variable.

Edited by hembo

The salary of the chief executive of a large corporation is not a market award for achievement. It is frequently in the nature of a warm personal gesture by the individual to himself.

John Kenneth Galbraith

I ended up recording it to watch latter but at least I know know what the best bits will be. There's three more episodes from the same serise (including one on the Mississippi river) tonight on BBC4.

Unfortunatly, I'm going out and something else is being recorded but if anyone wants to catch them, they are:

19:00 -19:50 Natural World

A Wild Dog's Story

Documentary following an African wild dog in Botswana's Okavango delta over five years.

19:50 -20:40 Natural World

Mississippi: Tales of the Last River Rat

A stunningly photographed portrait of the wildlife and landscape of the Mississippi River.

20:40 -21:30 Natural World

The Queen of Trees

A study of the African sycamore fig tree's symbiotic relationship with the fig wasp.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

Aw BUGGA!! I misread it and thought it was RADIO 4!!! Stupid bugga!!! I'll have to see if t is still available?

It is but unable to view as I am NOT in the UK and even though I can obtain a UK proxy this is a foreign one directed to the uk!! Next time!!

Edited by Chris Goddard

Chris Goddard

It is to be observed that 'angling' is the name given to fishing by people who can't fish.

If GOD had NOT meant us to go fishing, WHY did he give us arms then??

(If you can't help out someone in need then don't bother my old Dad always said! My grandma put it a LITTLE more, well different! It's like peeing yourself in a black pair of pants she said! It gives you a LOVELY warm feeling but no-one really notices!))

Chris. Acording to the TV listings on the media centre package, it's not due to be shown in the next two weeks. I'm sure it will be repeated though.