What's THE definitive lure rod for bass?

Bass Boy

Can't go wrong with any rod from Here that matches the lure & line weight you enjoy. At a guess, any that include F & H in the target species unless you expect to be into large fish and in that case, you might want to go with F & J.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

I doubt very much if there is such a thing as the difinitive lure rod for bass or any other rod for any other species for that matter. One mans` meat etc.

Some anglers like tip action some softer action some 8ft some 10ft, ringed for multiplier or fixed spool, long grip / short grip etc. standard reel seat, trigger grip, palm grip and so on. Think you have to decide what you like yourself and having made that decidion go out and find what you want or have one made for you.

Newts suggestion on the Loomis rods from Cabealas is fair enough but you have to think on costs. I bring a fair whack of stuff in from USA each year workwise and carriage can be frightening. You then have to add on the HM Customs bit when it arrives.

My most recent order was around £1200 for items I can only get in USA. The carriage / import etc on that lot was around a further £480.00. As a rough guide call the dollar price pounds, add 12% and you`ll be in the ball park as to total cost.

It also depends on how and where it will be used.

Dapping with small lures around the weed line in an estuary with a gentle current, the lure imitating tiny fry seeking shelter in the line of weed along the shore.

Casting long distances to a tide race between rocks where the bass are hitting sand eels, perhaps using an eel beneath a bubble float for casting weight.

Longish sessions with many casts will demand a light (expensive) rod, whereas on short sessions of an hour or so, something less demanding on the pocket will do the job well enough.

Poppers fished top surface at night in clear water, or weed snagging lures fished through heavy weed laden surf.

So, like many lure anglers, whatever the species, you may find that you need a number of different rods (and reels!)

Tight Lines - leon

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

Hi Bass Boy,

As Leon says, it very much depends on what sort of lure fishing you are going to do.

If you are mostly coastal or headland fishing then you need something with enough backbone to throw a good 45g. Even the best and most aerodynamic plugs can't compete much above F4 if you want to reach any distance.

The type or style of plugs also has an input since surface poppers rely heavily on the angler imparting action into the lure. For sure, using braid can offset the stretch effect encountered with mono but the stiffer the rod the better for these at least. Even when casting metal lures in a wind will benefit from a stiffer blank since the rod will never compress as such as with a 150g bomb and a beachcaster but relies on tip speed alone. The faster the tip recovery the better also and this is why the plug distance casting arm of our sport use ultra stiff blanks.

As to a specific model or blank, I would certainly recommend the Bass Plugger, formerly by Normark and now by YYS I think. A cork hand, 11 ft, and about as stiff as any off the shelf rods of that length.

I use it nearly all the time even though I own more expensive rods from more recognised brands. It will even cope with an ounce or so and a live eel in the surf so it would give you a light weight bait rod as well.

Oh yeah, buy yourself a spare tip ring and a tube of superglue at the same time. The liners have a nasty habit of breaking when you are miles from home.

Regards

Thanks guys... all of help... I'm alomost 100% a "plugger"... and have recently been using poppers quite a lot... although my range of plugs goes from floating J7 (I have "light weight" rods for this end of the spectrum) through deep diving and on to Yosuri, Chico Boca and Storm Chug Bug poppers ... and it's really this kind of lure that I need to cover... plus... rocky headlands and fast tides is my most common mark... I always use braid and a fixed spool reel... I prefer at least 9ft but would be happy with anything up to 11ft, preferably multi section for ease of travel... any specific suggestions would be welcomed... and thanks Ryford, I'll check out the Bass Plugger...

I see you are a member of "The Society", have you had a word with Phil Hyde - he is on the committee, so you can get his contact details out of the inside of the front cover of the mag - the "blue" magazine I am on about.

Alternatively, Mike Oliver makes some lovely plugging rods on Harrison blanks (BRITISH MADE near Liverpool - not Korean or Chinese!!)

My own rod is an Abu Suveran in 9' - 2 piee. It works beautifully for the Sliders, Sammys and even a big Chug Bug, but the big Chug does take a good bit of the action out during the cast as it is JUST over powering it for a good cast - the Sliders/ Aile magnet though fly miles - so it will handle up to an ounce effectively, even into a head wind. You must just change your castig action with the different lures. The lighter ones you can really whip out. The heavy ones - and I even cast the Woodchoppers with it - you have to slow your cast down and give a smooth lob. I can cast a heavy woodscopper (probably 3 ozs and well over weight for the rod) 40 yrds happily - which is far enough.

They also do a 10' version in the same casting weight - take your pick. The 10 footer will be softer actioned though in the same casting weight. The 9' is designed to handle 40lb salmon in a Norwegian river - it will cope with anything you can find on a lure round our coast!

It is quite expensive, but the earlier ones were better than the new ones (A familiar thread running through fishing tackle manufacture at the moment) so keep your eyes open for one on the second hand market. The Suveran is equipped with titanium rings - so they are truely salt water proof. Even so, I still put mine under the cold water tap when I get home every time. Thoroughly recommended.

The best bass rod though is the one that you have in your hand when the bass are feeding 20 yards out :D

Simon Everett

Staffordshire.

Fishing kayaks:

White& Orange Dorado

Olive Scupper Pro

Yellow Prowler Elite

Touring kayaks

Red White Skua

White & Orange Duo