Best reel for uptiding

Casey

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Penn 535GS Uptider is purpose-built as an 'Uptide Special' reel with lower gearing than the usual 6:1 which makes 'pulling a big blonde', (ooeerr!) difficult in 60 ft of water and a big tide.

For heavy work (tope?), you could probably 'damp down' the Penn 225LD.

Abu 7000s have traditionally been the 'dogs thingies' for uptiding and there is a huge range of variations on the same theme. They need looking after, though.

I suspect the new Abu 7seriesLD has no braking system, but with 'damping down' with red Rocket Fuel and a smearof STP on the ends of the spool spindle should give you the 50 'realistic' yards you need.

On thinking about it .....

Penn 535GS Uptide Special. I think the gearing is reduced from 6:1 to 5.3:1 .....

I think the gearing is a tad lower - 4.25:1

But in uptide conditions - less than 80ft shouldn't be a problem - it also has the bonus of no level wind, which is better for casting ( more thumb grip ) and its easier to clamp down on the spool when trying to free from snags IMO.

' suspect the new Abu 7seriesLD has no braking system, but with 'damping down' with red Rocket Fuel and a smearof STP on the ends of the spool spindle should give you the 50 'realistic' yards you need'

Absolutely right, no braking system on the 7000LD but like the 6600LD they are not as free running as their star drag cousins so before adding any oil to slow them down, have a few casts in your local park to see how they perform. I cast jerkbaits with my 6600s and they work well enough straight out of the box.

'I've got a mind like a steel wassitsname'

Casey:

Thanks for all your input, i fished on a boat the other day, someone was using a 975LD, he remarked how great a reel it was with no jamming on the retrieve like most others.

Thinks i'll be saving up then. :)

:cool: Before you spend your hard earned dosh, have a look at the Shimano Charter Special 1000LD

or 2000LD, it has a levelwind, bearings, centifugal brakes and a lever drag. IMHO the best all round reel, especially for uptiding. The 2000 is larger of the 2. Around the £100 mark. :)