39 year old Penn!

Starvinmarvin

Just been fiddling with my mothers cold water tank. Rummiging around whilst I waited for it to refill, I found my Dad's old Penn Delmar 285M, boxed, with Instruction Booklet, Spanner and original tube of lube, the box has slight damage to the lid, but the reel is like brand new, the instruction booklet is dated 1965. To my knowledge he only used it a couple of times and went back to his fixed spools.

Does it have a collectable value?

If not I'm going to use it.

SM :)

http://www.anglersafloat.co.uk

Kayaks: Ocean Kayak Caper (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro

Ocean Kayak Malibu 2 XL (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Trident 15

Wilderness Systems Tarpon 140 Angler (Yellow)

Malibu Mini-X

A member of B.A.S.S www.ukbass.com

I've got a thirty eight year old Garcia Mitchell 624 that still pulls the odd good conger from a wreck.

It was the first new reel I ever bought and cost £17:00, I recently bought another on Ebay for the same price, don't believe the tales you hear about modern reels being better, put it on a rod and use it

[ 02. October 2004, 11:37 PM: Message edited by: Manxman ]

I think that was the year after I got my Delmar. Does it have a metal spool? If so, that's probably why he gave up trying to cast with it. I got a plastic spool for mine.

https://www.harbourbridgelakes.com/

Pisces mortui solum cum flumine natant

You get more bites on Anglers Net

There's no big collectors market in the UK for multipliers and the US market is only of interest if your reel is in absolute pristine unscratched condition with a clean undamaged box (and tools). Value of lesser Penns from the '60s would between 10-30 pounds.

[ 03. October 2004, 10:21 PM: Message edited by: argyll ]

'I've got a mind like a steel wassitsname'

I still have a Abu 505 that I bought over 40 years ago. This reel has landed fish from a 1oz Gudgin to a 40lb pike and has given me thousands of hours of pleasure.

Still in use !! :D:D

The Older I get .. The better I was.

Jim, it's got the metal spool, he sat for hours unpicking the birdsnests, infact the line on it was part of a two week project found lying on the beach tangled and covered in weed, he spent the entire holiday unpicking it and then stuck it on the reel, loved a good puzzle my dad, bless him!

More I think about it the more I want to use it. :)

http://www.anglersafloat.co.uk

Kayaks: Ocean Kayak Caper (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro

Ocean Kayak Malibu 2 XL (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Trident 15

Wilderness Systems Tarpon 140 Angler (Yellow)

Malibu Mini-X

A member of B.A.S.S www.ukbass.com

Jim Roper:

I think that was the year after I got my Delmar. Does it have a metal spool? If so, that's probably why he gave up trying to cast with it. I got a plastic spool for mine.

:cool: The M means metal spool, I had one with a plastic spool which was crushed by nylon so I bought a metal spool, had loads of fish with it, including a 40lb grouper. You just reminded me where it is, in a drawer in the shed of the house I moved from 10 years ago, I wonder if they'd let me have it back. Collectable? Probably. I have a Penn 349HC, dogs bits for wire line, a bigger, stronger version of the Mariner, what's it worth now boys, any ideas? :rolleyes:

Manxman:

I've got a thirty eight year old Garcia Mitchell 624 that still pulls the odd good conger from a wreck.

It was the first new reel I ever bought and cost £17:00, I recently bought another on Ebay for the same price, don't believe the tales you hear about modern reels being better, put it on a rod and use it

Hi manxman

Do you still use candles at home or have you gone on to electricity? Both will give you light.

I dread fishing a certain wreck when a Mitchell is on board. The Abus/shimanos/penn will wind up after a drift and everybody stamds and waits for the Mitchells. I suppose at least it gives them time to put on their ear plugs.

www.ssacn.org

www.tagsharks.com

www.onyermarks.co.uk