Which spinning line?

dickandjill

I have been using Shimano Technium 10lb line for spinning and plugging.(I bought a second hand reel loaded with it already and apparently it is a cross between a mono and a braid in that it has minimal stretch.)

I use it with a 20ft length of 20lb shockleader so as there is a bit more stretch and also abbrasion resistance should it get caught up.

It is very nice line to use but at over £20 a time to replace i was wondering can anyone recommend a very good 10lb line for spinning with.( i like the fact that this line doesn't go all curly after you've pulled it tight when tying knots etc)

Thanks

Sorry about the jumbled question!

Guest stevie cop

I've tried all sort, but now I go with any cheap line and change it after every session. Even good fixed spool reels twist the line after hours spinning and there's nothing worse than everything getting knotted up as you cast to the bass that have just started feeding in front of you!

The only solution I've found to twisting line is to keep changing it, and that dictates that I have to use pretty cheap line. Note that I've said cheap and not old!

Steve Coppolo:

I've tried all sort, but now I go with any cheap line and change it after every session. Even good fixed spool reels twist the line after hours spinning and there's nothing worse than everything getting knotted up as you cast to the bass that have just started feeding in front of you!

The only solution I've found to twisting line is to keep changing it, and that dictates that I have to use pretty cheap line. Note that I've said cheap and not old!

:cool: Try having an empty spool and winding onto it after each session, it takes the twists out. The most common reasons for twists are, winding the line onto the spool the wrong way and winding against a slipping clutch, both will put unnecessary twists in a line. :D

Sorry but I didn't mean that I got any line twist.What I meant was that mono line has a memory and that when you over stretch it it gets kinks in it.he Shimano line doesn't do this and I am looking for a cheaper ,similar type of line to the Shimano.

Richard

May be tough to find.

Braids do not have memory and are not weakened by being stretched. Braids cost a bit more than mono but based on their life span (not damaged by sunlight or abuse) they may be cheaper to use.

Mono - at least any I've ever seen - does have memory so you get those nasty coils. Also, if it is ever stretched (as will happen with a large fish or a hang-up where you pull for a break) it is weakened to some extent and never recovers.

When I was using mono, I changed line at least once a month when I was fishing regularly and at least every 3-4 months when not. Otherwise I'd start getting line breaks for no apparent reason.

500 yards of a decent mono in 20lb B/S would cost me at least $5 for a spool so very conservatively I was spending at least $25 per year on line and had the hassle of respooling pretty often.

500 yards of PowerPro (a good spectra-type braid) in 80 lb B/S (same diameter as 20lb mono but limp and no memory) costs me around $48 and I use it for two years then reverse it and use it for another year or two.

Mono: cost for 3 years fishing $75 minimum and respooling at least 15 times.

PowerPro Braid: cost for 3-4 years fishing $48 and respool when the line is new and once more after 2 years.

Note that if you use PowerPro of 50 lb B/S or lower (12 lb mono diameter) the cost is $36 for 500 yards.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

I use 20lb braid for spinning and think its great.

Thinner than 10lb mono and way stronger. No stretch so you feel every twitch of the lure. And it lasts for ages.

I put on 150m and after 1 year turned it around and used the clean end. Its now 3yrs old and still going strong but I'll change it soon.

I got it cheap in the US but even at £20 if it lasts years its got to be good value in the long run. Plus I've lost count of how many lures I've saved by being able to pull out of snags, many £s worth for sure.

I could never go back to mono.

Hi...

I have to go with the other guys that have recommended braid. I've been using it lure fishing for bass here in the UK and in the US.

It lasts 4 times longer, is half the diameter and casts much further. If you're worried about losing lures, then use a few feet of mono as a tippet... this will give some elasticity if you're trying to tug the lure from the snag... but personally, I go with braid straight to the lure.

It is a little more expensive (I think I paid £17.99 pls pp for 300 yrds of 14lb), you need to take care when tightening your knots (because it's not as smooth as mono)... make sure they're good and tight... and you need SHARP scissors to trim off the excess... but the benefits far out-weigh the cost and the trouble. I've recommended it to friends and having used it they all agree... "there's no going back to mono"...

For the best price and great service try www.braiddirect.co.uk. they do large spools at good prices... you could also try www.tacklebargain.co.uk. they do similar braids and loads of tackle for spinning... including cheap rapala lures...

Hope this helps...

i agree with what the rest of the lads r saying braid is best i bought braid 2 years ago and still using it today with great results, try this site for braid

(http://www.uk-hooks.com ) they dont show the braid online but if you order a catalouge you'll get it in there, i you'se 37lb dia. 0.22 and £9.99 for 200m called blue marlin give it a try