Pair Trawling in the Channel

Chippy

Guest jay_con

It wasnt red but it wasnt really pale either. Caught it on my second cast of the night on a big cocktail of crab and lug tipped with a white. The mark is a little bay to the south of our town at the bottom of a 200 foot cliff (access by rope only and not for the faint hearted). Rod was my old trusted greys appollo

and reel abu 7500c3ct with 31 pound daiwa line .

I struggled to get it ashore as it was very rough where I was fishing. A big wave washed it almost to my feet then as the wave retreated I simply picked up the fish. I knew it was over 7 the moment I saw it. I think its me third biggest fish this season.

I came second tonight - beaten by a chap who was fishing in the scarborough area and caught 3 fish for 12 pound in weight.

Glad the seasons finished really its been a choir to keep going for bait in the dead of night. But I remember Diabolis telling me at the start of this season that If I wanted to improve I must be prepared for sleep deprivation. Many is the time this month Ive been out digging worms in the very earlly hours.

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@spring@, as requested in the herring thread, heres the Marine lab cod info :

quote:

Cod TAC & Advice North Sea

2005 position : UK share 10,631 tonnes

Last year : 10,631 tonnes

Stock health : Reduced reproductive capcity

Importance : Key demersal species

ICES Advice on Management

Summary

* Fishing mortality is estimated to be above the precautionary level

* Spawning stock is well below the proposed precautionary limit

* The 2001 – 2003 year classes are well below average

Information Sources: Report of the Working Group on the Assessment of Demersal Stocks in the North Sea and Skagerrak, 7-16 September 2004 (ICES CM 2005/ACFM:07) and the Report of the Advisory Committee on Fisheries Management Autumn 2004. Quoted text in italics.

Basis of Fisheries Advice

Since adopting the Precautionary Approach to fish stock management in 1998, ICES is developing new approaches to offer advice on the management of those species which are caught in mixed fisheries. From 2004, ICES has included ecosystem considerations and involved stakeholder participation when formulating its fisheries advice. The process will continue to evolve in 2005 towards giving more integrated advice in an ecosystem context.

This developing fisheries advice is the result of a three-step process involving:

* the identification of single stock exploitation boundaries consistent with the Precautionary Approach;

* consideration of mixed fisheries issues;

* consideration of wider ecosystem implications of the fishery.

ICES continues to define Precautionary Approach limits in terms of stock biomass (the total weight of mature fish in the sea capable of spawning) and fishing mortality (a measure of the amount of fish removed each year by fishing). However, classification of the state of the stock is now given in terms of its reproductive capacity in relation to spawning stock biomass and its sustainable harvest in relation to fishing mortality.

Further information is available in the sections The Form of ICES Advice and Mixed Fisheries on pages 6 – 9.

For cod in the North Sea, ICES has proposed that the precautionary level for spawning stock biomass (Bpa) be 150,000 tonnes and that the precautionary level for fishing mortality (Fpa) be set at 0.65. The limit reference points for spawning stock biomass (Blim) is 70,000 tonnes and limit reference point for fishing mortality (Flim) is 0.86.

State of Stock

Based on the most recent estimate of spawning stock biomass and fishing mortality, ICES classifies the stock as suffering reduced reproductive capacity and as being harvested unsustainably. Spawning stock biomass in 2003 was estimated at 43,000 tonnes and is expected to remain at that level in 2004. Spawning stock biomass is well below the Blim of 70,000 tonnes. The 2001 – 2003 year classes are all estimated to be well below average.

Recovery Measures and Management Advice

In 1999 the EU and Norway agreed to implement a long-term management plan for the management of North Sea cod and, in 2004, agreed a formal recovery plan that will operate during the TAC and management decision process of 2004, to become operational in 2005.

In relation to the agreed management plans, ICES advises that the TAC should not be more than 15% above the 2004 level. This corresponds to 35,880 tonnes (for Division IIIa and Subarea IV). This implies a 55% reduction in fishing mortality relative to 2003. Indications are that this would allow a 30% increase in spawning stock biomass from 2005 to 2006 and rebuilding to above Blim.

In relation to exploitation boundaries and precautionary considerations, given the low stock size, recent poor recruitment, continued substantial catch, the uncertainty in the assessment and the inability to forecast catch reliably, ICES recommends zero catch until the estimate of the spawning stock biomass is above Blim, or other strong evidence of stock rebuilding is observed.

Management Action

At the December 2004 meeting in Brussels the Council of Ministers decided that the international Total Allowable Catch for North Sea cod should be 27,300 tonnes. The UK quota for 2005 was set at 10,631 tonnes.

Pretty grim

Help predict climate change!

http://climateprediction.net

Jaffa.

Cris I much prefer the North Sea Stock Survey 2004, The one I sent you, You know, the one done by fishermen.I especially like the bit that says cod of all sizes have been reported in some areas, we have also caught several large cod during this winter as we do most winters.

I am not saying cod stocks are good here, just not as bad as ICES say they are.

I have no faith what so ever in ICES

I fish to live and live to fish.

Guest jay_con

Thanks jaffa, Glad to see you were willing to put that up. I already knew what it said, but after you quoted them in support of the herring argument I wondered if you had much faith in thier cod research.

Wurzel - You never cease to amaze me.That is funney. LOL. Im no psychic but I read you like a book. ICES are wrong. I never saw that one coming.

Who is your favorite scientific body?????? CEFARSE perhaps???????.

I see some of the commercial guys were in court this week for landing black fish. Seems to be a case every week lately.

@Spring@, I think ICES are "right" most of the time, certainly for "easy" fisheries like the pelagic ones.

They do get it wrong as well though, and given the amount of cod that must have been discarded/black landed over the last few years I wonder how accurate their cod assessment can be either way. Would not surprise me if the situation was worse than they say. They do the best they can and are attempting to introduce new methods of assessment.

The fishermens own survey seems like a really good idea; not enough respect has been given for the observations made by them in their day to day fishing. That said, the problem with Wurzels report is that this is only the 3rd year its been running so its too early to place much reliance on it.

In its own opening comments it says

" The data is qualitative in form and it is therefore only possible to determine relative trends in the stocks. However as the time series grows, it should be possible to elicit an impression of the state of the stocks"

FWIW the clear impression amongst commercial guys is that cod abundance is improving over much of the North Sea and that cod of all sizes are being taken. Discount it totally if you want , but I take some hope from it.

Fishing effort has been drastically reduced, the fleet has been halved and oil is hitting over $55 a barrel. No need to slit your wrists yet m8

Help predict climate change!

http://climateprediction.net