Pair Trawling in the Channel

Chippy

A red cod is a thing of beauty, only if you are another cod.

I have caught some "wiv me rod" fishing the Menai Staights North Wales.

I wonder if there are any still there, I doubt they would have been comercialy fished for, pahaps somebody on here could tell us.

I fish to live and live to fish.

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest jay_con

You saying they are all in the same boat because they were all "screwed". If thats the philsophy then I understand why they dont say anything.

To me it seems illogical to think that way though. You are aware of illegal landings by trawlermen???? (on quite a big scale if you beleive some of the articles)This must have impacted heavily on fish stocks, but yet you never said this must stop both for the good of the stocks and for the good of your own business?

Surely if the 80% (or whatever percent you believe it is) Hadnt continually broke the law then things would be improving right now and not getting worse. Therfore your quota's could have been going up rather than down.

Will the owners of these big boats pay wurzels wages when they put him out of business?

Jaffa:

This is rock cod country and to hell with the temp. I rarely fish the beaches but have noticed some weird stuff over the last couple of years - baitfish scattering in places it used to look dead. Seatrout or Bass?!Been out on the yak when its oily calm and you can hear fish crashing all over the shop.

Tuna?

http://www.total-fishing.com/News.asp?Acti...5C5497C6CCC79D8

Tight Lines - leon

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

No posting yesterday out catching those endagered cod, the point you made worzel about the unworkable quotas what you seem to forget that up ontil 2004 up here there wasnt any quotas,there was on paper but there wasnt in practice get the drift.

http://sea-otter2.co.uk/

Probably Whitby's most consistent charterboat

Untitled-1.jpg

Unless they turn to catching dover sole they will not effect my quota at all, I have learnt to suvive with out cod, If cod came back in numbers the boats around here would have a big problem, you would have a sea full of fish but no quota, I think my cod quota is 160 stone for a month, if I was fishing only for cod I would need to average 200 stone a week to earn a reasnable wage.

At the moment I am allowed 10% bycatch of non target speices, so if I catch 10 stone of soles I am allowed 1 stone of other fish, so if you were me and you caught a couple of box's of cod, say 10 stone would you dump 9 stone of prime cod over the side, this is just one example of quota law, It's dificult to explain and I have to be carfull what I say, but I am sure if you all knew the true facts on the quota system you would not be so eager to condem. the Whole system is corrupt and needs to be scrapped, there must be a better way to manage fish stocks.

Cod and bass on the same coast.

Not long term, and not in equal amounts.

Bass will live in colder water but will not breed succesfuly in it.

Cod will live in warmer water up to a piont but they defiantly will not breed succesfuly in it.

so if the disadvantaged stock is being fished hard then the decreace in the stock will be eccelerated, but I am not so sure it makes that much diference to the big picture, it defiantly does on a local basis.

Wurzel, do you ever trawle or is all your gear gill netts & tremell netts?

I ask as you dont throw shovel loads of dead fish back over the side with just using gill netts, although I remember using a mallet to smash zillions of crabs out of gill netts.

BASS MEMBER

IGFA Member.

Supporting ethical angling practices and wise use and conservation of fishery resources!

SACN Member.

NFSA Member.

Getting confused by politics!

MY LIST IS LONGER THAN YOURS!

Sam

I only use gill or tramell nets. I tried trawling many years ago, I soon realised that my boat was not big enough to be an effective trawler,

although the boat I have now would probably be suitable at times.