Pair Trawling in the Channel

Chippy

Wurzel old matey you are probably right but why is that i wonder,i can tell you why because there is a lot of desert out there as you well know the inshore grounds of whitby were very rich in fish, were that is,whitby trawlers used to go to the rough etc, slaughtering masses of small codling this is fact as i know personly a couple of skippers that use to fish out there, 30 or so boats going round 40-50kits of fish a go dumping around 30kits a bit waste old mate ,now and again one or two boats give it ago out there, you could pit it in a carrier bag whatthey have had at times,back in to the tram lines one of our boats just last week been working 20 miles of norway towing south working pipe 400 boxes for trip mainley pollock ,some coalie, they towed 170miles and got 7 boxes of codlings out of 400 looks a bit frightning to me

http://sea-otter2.co.uk/

Probably Whitby's most consistent charterboat

Untitled-1.jpg

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Big Cod

I remember that codlig slaughter at the Rough, as you say it was a fine example of stupidity , the ones I spoke to say they new it was so wrong but still carried on, they said if they had not some body else would have.

At least with the mesh size now it should not happen again, A big increase in the landing size would not go amiss.

why has the pollack replaced the cod ? if the pipe lines have been overfished you would have thought there would have been nothing left.

Last summer the marina were I keep the boat was full of baby pollack, as far as I know this has never happened before, we have always had to steam off 40 miles before we can catch a decent pollack.

Don't be too frightend I think all the north winds have blowen all the cod down here,we caught 3 box's of mainly large cod today, one or two probably over 20 lb and I'm not even fishing for em.

I fish to live and live to fish.

Worzel give us the reading mate, only joking been out today uptiding with a party, got a few cod couldnt get the fish aboard for bleeding seals once he took one that was it just sat 50 yards aback the boat took every fish and probably scared many away but i still think there is not enough fish in the water for them to feed the natural way sorry to say ite easy picking taking fish of a hook rather than trying to catch a codling,there does seem to be a lot of seals at the present moment,you can steam 30 miles to a wreck get there and see two walruses its enough to pee you off slighty to say it mildly

http://sea-otter2.co.uk/

Probably Whitby's most consistent charterboat

Untitled-1.jpg

Guest jay_con

Quote from wurzil.

"Big Cod

I remember that codlig slaughter at the Rough, as you say it was a fine example of stupidity , the ones I spoke to say they new it was so wrong but still carried on, they said if they had not some body else would have.

At least with the mesh size now it should not happen again, A big increase in the landing size would not go amiss."

There you go Jaffa. You asked for evidence that the fishermen were rich and greedy. well there you have the proof of thier greed ( and stupidity into the bargain)). Im working on the rich bit.

Guest jay_con

You mean someone having the balls to say right we caught you and now were gonna punish you? Thats how it works for the rest of society who break the rules so why not for this lot. A good prison sentence would sort them out - Thats what happens in norway so im told.

As for everyone here being greedy - Not I. I take what I need to persue my hobbey within the rules, I never watse a crab or worm. Nothing more nothing less.

Bloody hell Big Cod I didn't know you Whitby boys new how to tie on an anchor,let alown uptide cast!

The seals were always a problem at this time of year and we often hauled a net with half the cod torn to peaces. I think the rest of the year they feed on herring. they are starting to be a problem here as well.

@winter@

They were not doing any thing ilegal,

it was excepted practice. and Cris as far as I am aware the farther north you go the worse the problem of discards, infact the scotish haddock fishery is far worse than any thing the Whitby lads ever done.

Winter is partly right, there has never been any body with balls enough to say eliminate discards or you don,t go to sea, they have been fluffing about on the subject for at least 20 years.

As for being greedy you probably have not got a crew to pay, insurance, bank loans, fuel bills, and a hundred other bills that consistently drop through the letter box when you own a boat.

Hi jaffa,

Ther are all sorts of laws in place to control fruad, robbery etc. but those laws are broken every day by those who want to.

I would say that reasonable people would use good judgement whether laws are in place or not.

It would be a sad day if we had to pass laws to stop people being greedy. The strange thing is these people very seldom reap the rewards they hope to gain by being greedy. More often than not they have shot themselves in the foot.

I fish, I catches a few, I lose a few, BUT I enjoys. Anglers Trust PM

eat.gif

http://www.petalsgardencenter.com

Petals Florist