AN Goes Hi-Tech

Elton

I've only had my wireless hub sitting around in a box for about two years, but I still thought it was time I tried installing it last night (okay - the wife got a wireless laptop from work and TOLD me to sort it!).

It all went far too well and hasn't broken yet.

Honestly, for me, that takes some doing.

It's hard-wired into my PC, mind you, as the PC is too old to be wireless. I have, however, dug out my own old laptop (which runs on steam) and ordered a PCMCIA (or something) card to enable that to be wireless. When I say wireless, I don't mean exactly wireless - the battery is fubar, so it has to be plugged in all the time. I did look up the price for a new one today, but I could get a new reel for that. Anyone finds a cheap battery for a Compaq Presario 2500, please let me know!

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

At home we run a mix with 2 laptops wireless (built in) and a desktop wired because it is so close to the router.

When we sell the house we will do away with the desktop and add a wireless thingy to the printer (now slaved to the desktop) so it can go on the network and not need to be close to the router.

Our hotel has internet available in the room but wired (older setup) so for the first time I tried hooking our router to it. Works a treat and both laptops are online wireless even as I type. I just luv this modern stuff. :D

Give up on a replacement battery and just use the ancient machine as long as you don't need to travel with it.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Give up on a replacement battery and just use the ancient machine as long as you don't need to travel with it.

That's the plan, Newt. Can't see the point of buying a battery when I can probably get a cheap, modern laptop for not much more, especially if I'm prepared to wait in the current economic climate.

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

Blimey! The PCMCIA card arrived and I'm now typing this from the living room :D

Since were talking about batteries, I've a question for you Newt. I've a newish laptop but it is seldom used away from the mains. Should I take the battery out, or will the battery last longer if I keep it in the laptop?

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

Cory - I'm not really sure but I can tell you that mine are also on house current most of the time and the batteries stay in.

The new battery technology is a far cry from the old NiCad days but I expect if you can find out exactly what sort you have, some google searching would be your best option to get a solid answer.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Is there anything you can do with a completely dead battery, apart from throw it in the bin?