Why is the Shore Bassing in my area this year so BAD?

sam-cox

This year is the worst years sort in the last 9 years.

Not only are there very few fish over 1.5lb, but there doesnt seem to be the numbers of very small bass we usually get.

I have seen masive shoals of small bass feeding on bait fish, with the gulls diving at a couple of locations.But the usual vast numbers of small bass just aint there.

Last year my best catch was 17 bass from 39cm to 47cm in one and a half hours. Not big bass but good fun on 8lb line in two feet of water.This year my best catch in the same place, fishing for the same amount of time is only three fish.

Last year there was zillions of 2002 and 2003 year class fish ripping my crab and rag baits to pieces every cast, this year to catch one would be nice.

BASS MEMBER

IGFA Member.

Supporting ethical angling practices and wise use and conservation of fishery resources!

SACN Member.

NFSA Member.

Getting confused by politics!

MY LIST IS LONGER THAN YOURS!

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope the gill netters aint sold them all, normally 90 mil mesh only catches bass 36cm and over, I still think this mesh size is to small.

However with the lad at West Mersea being caught with 20 undersized bass who knows.

BASS MEMBER

IGFA Member.

Supporting ethical angling practices and wise use and conservation of fishery resources!

SACN Member.

NFSA Member.

It is my first real year at the bass,Mull of Galloway

Have a static caravan at Drummore and am there every other weekend.

Due to "family" commitments just have approx 2/3 hours fishing when I am there.

Could get a bagfull of pollack/mackeral off the shore every time - where is the challenge?

The challenge is bass in Luce Bay

I need to catch a bass on fly to "satisfy" my sensai MJB -the best saltwater fly guy on the forum bow bow

Sorry Sam back to the plot had 4 bass this year - all to poppers (Aile magnet)

3 x 3LB and one 1.5LB

Must try harder!!!!

Freddie the local bass exprt lost a "biggie" last week

Guessing he had on 15lb mono cos he is that kind of guy! He also sets his drag to perfection before any bass venture. Hooked up on a spinner and the fish "smoked" 50 yds in secs,then the swine legged it towards the beach,slack line,sob,sob,sob,

There are biggies in Luce Bay. Got smoked off one this year during lads week. Actually shouted to Gannet when I had the fish on and he thought I was just fast on the bottom:(

That bass "bow waved" twice before finally having a go

I was shaking team:)

Fishing digs on the Mull of Galloway - recommend

HERE

babyforavatar.jpg

Me when I had hair

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy

my Dads had a few to fly this year local to us, last year he caught a 5lb mullet to an olive eel fly. He said it fort very well.He fishes Ireland quite a bit and has had them to 6.5lb at Carlingford lock.

Good luck Snatcher with the bass to fly quest, Im waiting until Im at least 45 until i take up the fly.

This year they are hard enough to catch on fresh peelers and rag.

BASS MEMBER

IGFA Member.

SACN Member.

NFSA Member.

Do you fish any deepwater pollack marks off the shore or in boat?

Want a few Snatcher lures? why miss out ,everyone else on the frum has them Tell me what size and colour you want! Deal is I send you 10 lures,in return 50 x 3/0 or 2/0

Go on Sam do it

ps, do not strike,keep reeling steadily x

HERE

babyforavatar.jpg

Me when I had hair

Thanx Snatcher,

we dont get pollock her mate, however if you want to send me some of your flies I wont refuse, my farther does a range of bass flies i will try and lay me hands on a couple to send to you.

BASS MEMBER

IGFA Member.

SACN Member.

NFSA Member.

Sorted :)

HERE

babyforavatar.jpg

Me when I had hair

Do you have any faily shallow rocky bays with lots of rocky gullies lined with rack weed and kelp, this is the sort of ground they fish in Ireland. The normal method is to wade using chesties.

BASS MEMBER

IGFA Member.

SACN Member.

NFSA Member.