Centrepin Performance...What's Acceptable?

Angly

Partly in preparation for the Barton Court Fish-In, and partly just out of desire, I've bought my first centre pin reel. A little bit of research and the desire to own a jack of all trades budget reel led me to purchase a W.R. Products Speedia Deluxe in wide spool configuration, which turned out to be not quite as advertised (misaligned pin, buckled spool…don't you just love eBay sellers? :angry: ), but with a little TLC over the weekend seems to be performing OK.

Now, being a complete centre pin novice, I have a question regarding performance. I have read that the narrow drum Speedia's are preferred for trotting, and I presume that is because of the lighter spool weight (less resistance to releasing line). Which begs the question: How easily should line be released? Currently, with the reel attached to the butt rod section with 4lb Sensor line threaded through just the butt ring, a No.6 shot (0.1g) will steadily take line. Is this acceptable or do I need to fine-tune some more (and perhaps go to a lighter lube)?

I'll be switching over to Float Fish for trotting, I just don't have any to hand at the moment.

Edit: Added Photo

large.jpg

Edited by Angly

Geoff

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I to have a Speedia, the narrow drum version. I dont do any river fishing (none down here in Cornwall) but did some experimenting when I first got mine. You can greatly increase/decrease the spin rate by using differing lubrication. I found GT 85 spray gave the longest spin time. Your reel being the delux model has the tensioner fitted which mine does not so I would try GT 85 and if you needed more drag adjust with the tensioner.

I love my reel and use it whenever possible. Plenty of small venues down here where I dont have to cast very far and loads of fish in the margins. I love being able to bring in or let out a couple a couple of inches of line with just my thumb on the drum, dont even have to put my coffee down.

Partly in preparation for the Barton Court Fish-In, and partly just out of desire, I've bought my first centre pin reel. A little bit of research and the desire to own a jack of all trades budget reel led me to purchase a W.R. Products Speedia Deluxe in wide spool configuration, which turned out to be not quite as advertised (misaligned pin, buckled spool…don't you just love eBay sellers? :angry: ), but with a little TLC over the weekend seems to be performing OK.

Now, being a complete centre pin novice, I have a question regarding performance. I have read that the narrow drum Speedia's are preferred for trotting, and I presume that is because of the lighter spool weight (less resistance to releasing line). Which begs the question: How easily should line be released? Currently, with the reel attached to the butt rod section with 4lb Sensor line threaded through just the butt ring, a No.6 shot (0.1g) will steadily take line. Is this acceptable or do I need to fine-tune some more (and perhaps go to a lighter lube)?

I'll be switching over to Float Fish for trotting, I just don't have any to hand at the moment.

Edit: Added Photo

large.jpg

It sounds like you've got your pin set up just fine if 1 x no.6 will set it spinning.

The reel sounds very free running and in th pic it looks in super condition !

For your lube I'd use Singer sewing machine oil. I don't know if GT 85 is synthetic or not but according to form synthetic lubes, wd40 and 3 in 1 oil can damage your pin so better to steer clear of them.

Edited by tigger

I'd say that's very good performance. My Okuma Sheffield and Youngs Bob James won't budge without 0.6g and 0.4g respectively and they both start up very well in slow flow (that was without being fitted to a rod too, line just dangling over a table edge).

You'll need more weight than a No.6 when trotting so I can't imagine that you'd have any problems with it in use. Don't forget to take some lube with you just in case it needs a squirt during the day.

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

Be reassured the performance you have described from your reel is very acceptable now just enjoy it.

For lubrication I always use Singer sewing machine oil on my reels

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical

minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which

holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd

by the clean end"

Cheers

Alan

I personally think that you can get too hung up on how well a reel spins in doors when the real test is how it performs with a float on the end and even then you easily can ring the changes to suit. ie if a heavier float is required to pull line from the reel then use one. You can still set up the appropriate shotting pattern relative to the conditions and the fish you are fishing for. In fact a reel that spins too freely can get you into trouble particularly if you are not used to them and even more so if there is plenty of bankside vegetaion. With regard to narrow drum versus wide drum, it is a matter of personal choice as both types have their advocates although in theory for long trotting you could possibly have lesss chance of the line bedding in with a wide drum reel.. One thing for sure is that once you have got used to one, you will probably get the bug and want another :D Another thing is to balance the reel up with an appropriate rod particularly when trotting and preferably Trust this is of help with high stand off rings which helps to prevent the line sticking to the rod when it is wet

Oh well that's excellent news, thank you all. :)

I don't feel quite so bad now knowing that my most expensive reel (by some considerable margin) is probably the simplest and older than me!

I was going to use GT85, but my son had used it up and left the empty can on the shelf ( :rolleyes: ), so I mixed up a motor oil and WD-40 concoction. Singer oil (or equivalent light machine oil) is definitely on the shopping list though. :thumbs:

I should point out that my reel will only pull line off at 0.1g with the reel held HORIZONTALLY (i.e. only contact/support/friction from the tip of the pin only), and that's why I needed to run the line through the rod's butt ring.

Edit to include tincatinca's post.

I'm using my Shimano Catana 13' Match Rod, a little heavy (both in weight and action) for trotting all day, but despite being billed as a 'carp rod' I've had plenty of small silverfish on it with no pattern emerging of hook bump offs or pull outs. Due to budget constraints I won't be purchasing another pin (he repeats to himself over and over...)

Edited by Angly

Geoff

just so as you know what a poor speedia looks like ,heres a couple i paid too much for (£20 odd for the pair) they're wide spool standard versions

7c16_1.jpg

7f28_1.jpg

they're my next restoration project / bodge job .a little something to tinker with ,the black one with no handles works ok gave it a quick clean & lub and it spins well now .It'll get a good clean and some new handles and should be ok,The rough one will need a fair bit of tlc ,i'll strip it right back to bare metal and re build it from the ground up ,might not be authentic parts but it'll be ok

so in comparison yours is 100 X Better .don't worry about a slight wave (wobble) as i think you've got yourself a very tidy reel there

owls22dx.gif

Chavender
I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! hello.gif Steve

"I should point out that my reel will only pull line off at 0.1g with the reel held HORIZONTALLY (i.e. only contact/support/friction from the tip of the pin only), and that's why I needed to run the line through the rod's butt ring."

Don't worry about that because that is how a true centerpin is supposed to work and be fished with the only bearing point is where the tip of the pin touches the central adjusting screw correctly this is known as a centerpin action and was revolutionary when it was invented by Henry Coxon towards the end of the 19th century all other reels including the ball bearing reels are technically drum reels by virtue of not having a true centerpin action.

Not that any of this is really relevant in the real world of using the blessed things but fun to know

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical

minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which

holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd

by the clean end"

Cheers

Alan