Centrepin Performance...What's Acceptable?

Angly

TT have a look at Chris Lythes do's and dont's regarding lub for his reels.

Tigger, I think that you will find that Chris Lythe has changed some of his materials to include self lubricating bushes. All the true pins I currently possess most likely have traditional materials ie hardened shafts and phosphour bronze bushes so I do not feel that there is a problem. The only reservation I would have had would be the possibility of chemical re-action and/or electrolitic action between dissimilar metals causing pitting however as PTFE is inert (ie you could chew it and swallow it) I do not see any problem. The only problem with PTFE in normal use is at elevated temperatures where it starts to fume approx 250 degrees centigrade. As with all aerosols, a propellant/carrier is utilised which in the wrong applications could possibly lead to problems, but as this generally evaporates off so should not cause trouble. I have already done some immersion testing over the last couple of weeks or so with various metals both at ambient temp and elevated temps and cannot find any immediate issues. The company I work for utilises PTFE in both solid and dispersent forms and as such I do have access to a wealth of technical information and test labs. In this particular instance I am personally satisfied that it is ok and it gives me some benefits however, that is not to say that other tried and tested methods should be abandoned. It is just my personal choice :D

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think I'll just stick to singers sewing oil. I just have peice of mind knowing it's the recommended lub by JW Youngs Etc.

The GT85 does sound good stuff though, maybe it's just me being over cautious. In future I may well use GT85 on my reels.

Edited by tigger

Take one powerfully built Wiganner coat in GT85 add News of the World reporter and photgrapher....YeGods! the potential scenarios don't bear thinking about :D :D :D

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical

minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which

holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd

by the clean end"

Cheers

Alan

Just this business of the line going around the reel foot happens to often for me not to worry

Assuming that you are holding the rod in your right hand, and your palm is facing (roughly) upwards before you cast, try turning your wrist anti-clockwise as you cast so your palm will end up facing down and the line will now not be encouraged to go around the reel foot.

It sounds awkward when written down but I found it soon became second nature; it doesn't need doing all the time, just depends on the wind direction and strength.

Sewing machine oil for me, apart from one old legering reel which gets 20/50. :o

That technique is something I do at all my demonstrations a slightly advanced version of it is to deliberately overspin the reel causing loops to drop ioff the spool when you a going for a really big cast.....usually when you are showing off!

Something to do on those rare days when everything is going right!!!

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical

minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which

holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd

by the clean end"

Cheers

Alan