Top tips for the Fylde coast?

fshdave

Ok, so noting the sound advice about new posters (I have posted before but not that regularly)I've got some specific questions about fishing the fylde coast, particularly around cleveleys/rossall:

1. I read that when it's rough it brings the codling close in to shore because of the food that gets churned up etc. I keep getting excited when it's rough, generally fish black lugg on a 2 hook patternoster (maybe tipped with squid) and lob it as far as I can with a 5ox lead that just about grips (maybe cast 50 yards in a strong wind) and generally catch 20lb of weed a throw whether I fish from the wall at Cleveleys or the beach at 5 bar gate (by Rossall school). Certainly never any decent fish. Where do I go wrong?

2. I thought that fishing a flood tide was the best time and low tides (again Cleveleys/Rossall) weren't supposed to be productive. the last few nights, judging by the number of lamps I can see way down the beach at low tide, I seem to be wrong? Is fishing low tide more productive?

3. I also thought that a very high tide brought more fish close in because the water was deeper (again around the same marks) but read today in Chris Webb's slot in the paper that the high tides have proably been keeping the codling away from the shore and the return of lower tides should bring an improvement. This makes no sense to me - can anyone shed any light?

Anyway, there's three hopefull sensible questions for starters and I hope some of you experienced guys (or lasses) out there can help me catch a monster cod tomorrow (daylight high tide and proably in a fairly choppy sea!)

Cheers and looking forward to a whole host of good tips which I promise to report back on.

Dave :confused:

Hi Dave

Firstly, if the weather has been persistantly rough, the fish dont come in shore. The main reason for this is suspended sediment and sand in the water, this would block up the fishes gills and drown them.

Usually for Blackpool area 1-2 days after gales will fish better when the water clears.

Low water on big tides can fish well, but also medium tides will produce good in winds with West in them. The reason being is a better depth in the gullies on first flood, as well as the flood not being as fast.

Generally the best tides around the Fylde coast are between 26ft and 29ft. Smaller tides can still produce fish, but the big springs are not the best tides!

If you want more info, e-mail me, there is to much to write, better to learn a bit at a time.

The best way to learn quick is join a club, that applies to anyone, anywhere!

Thanks Harold. I think I'll be in touch before my next session for some advice.

Today was fairly unproductive with one very small codling caught on black lugg on the flood. mind you, it was packed on the beach and I saw only 1 fish of any size being landed so maybe it's not just me. I think I'll opt for a night session next!

Your comments make a lot of sense - I guess I just need to fibnd the right marks for the state of the tide/weather etc.

Dave

Belive me your not the only one!!!!!!! I only fish the Fylde Coast usually the North Wall bit have been known to try the beach between Cleveleys and Fleetwood, also with little success and Ive been fishing 25 years +

I only had 5 fish through out the whole of last year and 3 of them came in one session, and I didnt see much else caught either. Thankfully this year has been a lot better. You are doing evrything right as far as bait and tackle goes but I would use 6oz leads if its a bit choppy. Keep reading Chris' page in the Gazette or better still go and talk to him.

Low water up to high tide are USUALLY more productive but some anglers will give you a good arguement for vice versa. Try both see which you like

[ 13. November 2002, 11:10 PM: Message edited by: Ian Bass ]

Had my day off. Fished 2 hours before high at 5 bar gate (Cleveleys) and 1 hour after on black lugg tipped with squid - nothing doing.

Drove up to Arnside and fished the tide out and had quite a few flounder, not of any great size, but it's a fantastic place to fish. Stunning scenery and a great sunset to finish.

Sorted!

Dave.

If you lived on the S.coast I`d have advised you to fish straight after a good blow? So would have all the so called experts!

I can`t tell you how to catch a 10lb cod at Cleveleys because it`s not within my fishing area?

Then again. Everyone keeps "Hotspots" to themselves? Except some fishing mags, that print 6 weeks before sale date?

Is that accurate local info, or a load of guesstimation?

Paul.

We don`t use J`s anymore!!