Skate Gear

KennyC

Hi all I was wondering if anyone < cough Davy ) could advise on what would be a reasonable Skate setup for doing the odd club charter in the Oban/Mull area.

I know that gear can be hired but I like to have my own tackle. Basically what Rod Class/Reel size would be adequate for the odd ( hopefully ) beast - that would not stress the Fish too much in a drawn out impasse.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hiya,

OK you are looking at 50lb class minimum, somethingalong the lines of the Fladden Maximus 50lb class boat rod is ideal. Personaly I'd avoid *any* of the stand up sick type rods as they arent as good at coping with a big fish directly below the boat as the UK syle rods.

Reels: I would say a lever drag is a must, The shimano TLD25 is ideal as is the same size of Okuma reeel (cant remember the model number) If you dont want a lever drag the Penn 6/0 Senator is the beast to get.

Line: I'd be opting for 80lb braid, which will help avoid any "acidents".

If you need anymore info or Traces let me know :)

Davy

"Skate Anglers Have Bigger Tackle"

My Okuma is the T50, By the way, DO NOT buy youre Fladden rod from Gerry's..mine arrived damaged, and they are ignoring me totally.Four emails to date...

In sleep every dog dreams of food,and I, a fisherman,dream of fish..

Theocritis..

For Fantastic rods,and rebuilds. http://www.alba-rods.co.uk/

Thanx guys

Hmmm...So my 8ft 30 year old - solid fibre glass, Chrome ringed, wooden handle boat rod and Mitchell 624 won't do then? :D

I'll keep me eyes open for a reasonable priced TLD then - I don't fancy using my Penn 113 with 5lb of lead in 300ft of water - without a fish on! - the skipper would need to give me an hours notice to wind up!

Hi Kenny, I've seen the TLD 25 advertised for £105, I was going to get one till Davy told me about the Okuma for £90 at Glasgow Angling.

In sleep every dog dreams of food,and I, a fisherman,dream of fish..

Theocritis..

For Fantastic rods,and rebuilds. http://www.alba-rods.co.uk/