What Old Car?

Elton

Having a load of No Claims Discount 'spare', I thought I'd get an old pre-1972 Mini and rag it around the country roads a bit. However, the prices seem to have gone sky-high!

What old car would make a good buy these days? All I wanted was something I could insure for next to nothing, tax for free (hence pre-1972) and, basically, destroy. I originally thought of Minis, as they used to be my car of choice and I can fix them.

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it's probably getting on for the point where anything pre-72 is either cherished or scrapped, to be honest.

The next break for cheap(er) tax is pre-2001 and <1600cc, although whatever the engine size it won't be more than about 200 quid. May as well find a V12 Jag then... :D

no road tax on pre 73's i believe ,rust will be your enemy ofcourse so its probably worth paying more for a better one ,practical classics has a vintage car value page so worth a browse when in tesco and well worth buying anyway just to gawp at cars of your youth ,several regarded sellers on there to so it wont bring tears as it probably would buying from ebay .not that theres no bargains but is it worth a 200 mile round trip to find the description a tad misleading.

good tread on the tyres i bought (and got in touch to verify) fell apart a month later ,to the eye they were good (so i couldnt blame him) but had become brittle standing in his garage ,the alloys they were on were worth more but it was the tires i was after.

luckily they were only 20 miles away.

as for a car itself an amazon for me please

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

I think it's probably getting on for the point where anything pre-72 is either cherished or scrapped, to be honest.

Even the ones that are supposed to be bashed about, look! :D

I think I'll check the shop window ads and local classifieds, to be honest. Must be some old bangers about somewhere.

Ah! Just had a thought....someone I know is a banger racer. He must get a few offers.

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

Having a load of No Claims Discount 'spare', I thought I'd get an old pre-1972 Mini and rag it around the country roads a bit. However, the prices seem to have gone sky-high!

What old car would make a good buy these days? All I wanted was something I could insure for next to nothing, tax for free (hence pre-1972) and, basically, destroy. I originally thought of Minis, as they used to be my car of choice and I can fix them.

Morris Marina, or an Allegro...suits you sir..;) ...I can just picture you in a beige

one..:)

I'm actually on the lookout for a Ford Anglia 105E.....or a Mk 1 Cortina..:):)

Edited by Norrie

In sleep every dog dreams of food,and I, a fisherman,dream of fish..

Theocritis..

For Fantastic rods,and rebuilds. http://www.alba-rods.co.uk/

Yep, I think taking what you can find is going to be more productive than looking for something in particular.

Rear wheel drive, and more poke than is good for it would be a good staring point, though - and with old cars, it doesn't take all that much poke!

:bigemo_harabe_net-165:

Err, can you get those cheap and not care if you trash them a bit?

toyota?

A carlos sainz if you can get one ;)

I've been chasing a Mini Cooper for the Mrs. She sold the Cooper special i got her new

when the first sprog turned up. I told her she would regret it :huh:

Mini prices are going nuts and will continue to do so for some time yet.

They are going for more than a BMW 750 at the moment ;)

Edited by n4lly
1509tarpon_75_.gif