Silly question.

codroamer

Cranfield:

I usually soaked them in salty water, but if the ammonia smell was very strong, I soaked them overnight in milk.

i was thinking either of those things, great minds think alike

quote:

great minds think alike
jeepster, I would love to agree with your sentiment, but my Mother use to end that particular saying with, "and fools seldom differ". :D:D:D

"I gotta go where its warm, I gotta fly to saint somewhere "

quote:

Don't be daft. Better to eat a deep hooked fish than throw it back.
I'm not daft. If you read what I said, I said not to fish for them for the sole purpose of finding out what they taste like, if you keep a deep hooked fish, fair enough.

here we go again, bellies first brains second, eat the left overs from the match boys comps ie, the pout/flonder/rockling etc that gets dumped after their egotistic beer money matches at the weekend....

I Fish For Sport Not Me Belly

Always used to be bullhuss but expect as others have said it has spread to encompass all the hound species.

On the other point if you catch a fish and want to take it home to eat then do so, whether it is 1lb or 200lb (as long as it is legal size).

I aggree theres no point in mass slaughter, but whats wrong with one person taking one fish to see what it tastes like.

Smoothhounds may be one of best sportfish but lets face it they are becoming fairly common nowadays.

i personally don't keep them but if somebody else wants to then thats up to them and how they feel its not for others to guilt people into throwing back their catch when they don't want to.

We had a Tope today that had been caught up in a net and by the looks of it some time ago as well as the net had cut in to the fins and dorsel as well as leaving some nasty rubbing wounds on the fish, the fish wieght 25lb but from the size of it, proberly should have wieghed more, we cut away the net but had nothing to treat the wounds, and the fin ones were at least 1 inch deep, heres hoping that the fish recovers 100% and doesnt suffer and die as a result.

As for eathing them, well leave that to the people that know how to prepare them and enjoy them.

The best way of ensuring non-bony fish don't taste of ammonia is to skin and fillet them and freeze the portions. When you thaw then (I leave them at least a fortnight) they taste fine. Whether you like the taste depends on how you prepare them. Skate wings are great pan fried in butter with a mustard cream sauce. Dogfish, smoothhound and tope are best deep fried in batter but are OK is a fish curry. But only keep what you can eat yourself, then put them back or fish for something else.

East Hampshire Boat Anglers www.boat-angling.co.uk