Feeder/float rig

lutra

Wouldn't they need a brick in them if they didn't have lots of holes to help them sink fast?

Yeah there's loads of nice smooth stones around the river you could add to your grubs. Is there no way to fish it on the other side ?

Just thought I bet a small boat would be good. :)

Edited by tigger

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That's an interesting problem - these kinds of things are what makes fishing interesting for me! The micromesh PVA bags of maggots would work but would cost a small fortune. Stickymag sounds interesting (I haven't used it before) but kind of annoying. A spod would get bait out there but would almost certainly frighten the chub.

Presumably what you want is a way to get maggots out to the far bank - and it's too far to catapult - so you can trot a float above the snags on the bottom?

How about modifying a maggot feeder so that it has enough weight to cast the required distance but floats? Cast upstream and let it trot through the swim dropping maggots as it goes. Use a spare rod so you're not chopping and changing. Your float will follow the same line. To get all the maggots out you may have to widen the holes in the feeder.

Worth a go?

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

I'm surprised no body's mentioned groundbait as a delivery medium. A stiffish mix sent over on a throwing stick would easily make the distance. One of those things that dog walkers use to throw balls would get it where you want. (try and get a 'bowl' type rather than one with 'fingers')

Another thing to try is float fishing cheese/cheese paste. Loose feed with a few pieces of hook bait size, (they will catapult over easier than maggots), every couple of casts, to get the chub feeding.

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

I used to have a length of plastic Hoover pipe I used for a makeshift throwing stick. It wasn't curved for adding that extra bit of centrifugal force and distance but it did the job to a point and it grouped maggots etc. nicely. I stood on it though. Bugger.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

Wouldn't they need a brick in them if they didn't have lots of holes to help them sink fast?

Just poke a load of small holes in them with a bait needle to enable airout/water in.

These PVA bags are much cheaper than the mesh as well.

how about hiring a tramp, small chineese child or a one of the polish (making sure they dont eat your catch) to stand the other side of the river feeding whilst you just trot your float through the swim??

wait wait wait, dip, strike, net, wait wait wait.....

OK i think Ive got lots of food for thought, plenty to keep me going over Christmas i will let you know how i get on. Cheers people.

Brian.

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

Ive never tried live maggots in PVA Mesh, but these have been in it for about 15 Min's and haven't got out yet.

post-10964-1228772144_thumb.jpg

So that looks like getting a place on the short list. :)

Im kind of with John on this Brian.I would just put my mags (or better still casters) in some crumb.

You might both be right Budgie, as the more i think about this PVA thing the more i thing it isn't going to be that good. i can see them sinking to the bottom in between the rubbish slowly melting and not attracting very much. A bit of ground on the other hand would get it out there and down in the water a bit but breaking up in the flow as it went down and maybe attracting the fish better. Still cant rule out this sticky mag, but i think the idea of having a clumsy feeder on my float rig has dropped down the order a bit.