Feeder/float rig

lutra

Definately a tricky one that might not be soved but the "best" solution only found through trial and error. Ive had frustrating situations as well in the past.Sometime Ive solved the "technical" problem only to finf the percieved "rewards" simply not there! either way its the trying thats been the fun!

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Definately a tricky one that might not be soved but the "best" solution only found through trial and error. Ive had frustrating situations as well in the past.Sometime Ive solved the "technical" problem only to finf the percieved "rewards" simply not there! either way its the trying thats been the fun!

I don't think fishing is something you can solve totally, thats what is so good about it. Like you say its the trying thats fun.

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

I think I've been guilty of over-thinking this one too - groundbait is definitely your best option I reckon (I can't believe it took 3 pages to get it!). Maggots work in PVA stockings just fine - I use them like that for tench fishing. Even when recasting as little as every couple of hours, though, you still get through a lot of it, and it's not chesp.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Not sure if this is of any help....can you get to the other side? You mention over hanging tree's, if one is slighlty upstream of the line your fishing you could hang a bag of maggots and adjust the size of holes for feed rates.

Experience is the name everyone gives to their mistakes

I think I've been guilty of over-thinking this one too - groundbait is definitely your best option I reckon (I can't believe it took 3 pages to get it!). Maggots work in PVA stockings just fine - I use them like that for tench fishing. Even when recasting as little as every couple of hours, though, you still get through a lot of it, and it's not chesp.

Although i think ground bait is looking promising i can see it having 1 or 2 down sides like the maggot breaking it up and the fact that Ive never done well with it on the river when Ive used it feeder fishing. That not to say I'm not going to give it a go. Budges suggestion of casters is one that Ive taken note of, although keeping a fresh supply can be a pain so i think dead maggots might get a look in.

I'm glad its taken 3 pages (thats if we've got there) as its nice to get one or two ideas off other anglers.

I'm sure PVA bagged maggots will work well in some situations and especially for species that like grubbing around on the bottom, but i just don't think its the answer for this one.

Not sure if this is of any help....can you get to the other side? You mention over hanging tree's, if one is slighlty upstream of the line your fishing you could hang a bag of maggots and adjust the size of holes for feed rates.

It can be done in summer when the river is low but not at this time of year.

It reminds me of an old trick of hanging something dead up a tree over the river for maggots to fall in off and prebait the swim.

Thank anyway.

Edited by lutra

If your worried about the maggots breaking it up in mid air, then caster or dead maggots will put your mind at rest.

I fish a similar swim on the Wharfe, the difference is that it is about 30yds to the channel, and its about 12ft deep. It's difficult to leger because the drop off is steep, and even with the rod tip in the air, the line still runs over the ledge making bite detection difficult. ( I also prefer to float fish where ever possible).

I use groundbait when using maggots, by experimenting with mixes you can get it to hold. I also add maggots to the groundbait as and when I feed, rather than mixing them in the bowl with the main batch.

The swim usually produces roach, dace, perch to start off with, but the chub do move in eventually.

If I just want to target the chub, then cheese is my preferred bait.

I still use groundbait, but as well as adding bits of cheese to it, I mix some of that powdered cheese sauce the night before, (you need to use hot water). I mix it thin so that it's very watery and use this to mix in with the groundbait. When it breaks up you have a nice 'cheesey cloud' drifting through your swim.

I find trotting at that distance is dependant on the wind direction. If the conditions are right I will use a big balsa/avon float rather than a waggler, (even a slider at times).

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

If your worried about the maggots breaking it up in mid air, then caster or dead maggots will put your mind at rest.

I fish a similar swim on the Wharfe, the difference is that it is about 30yds to the channel, and its about 12ft deep. It's difficult to leger because the drop off is steep, and even with the rod tip in the air, the line still runs over the ledge making bite detection difficult. ( I also prefer to float fish where ever possible).

I use groundbait when using maggots, by experimenting with mixes you can get it to hold. I also add maggots to the groundbait as and when I feed, rather than mixing them in the bowl with the main batch.

The swim usually produces roach, dace, perch to start off with, but the chub do move in eventually.

If I just want to target the chub, then cheese is my preferred bait.

I still use groundbait, but as well as adding bits of cheese to it, I mix some of that powdered cheese sauce the night before, (you need to use hot water). I mix it thin so that it's very watery and use this to mix in with the groundbait. When it breaks up you have a nice 'cheesey cloud' drifting through your swim.

I find trotting at that distance is dependant on the wind direction. If the conditions are right I will use a big balsa/avon float rather than a waggler, (even a slider at times).

John.

Thanks for that John, you cant beat a bit of practical experience.

That powered cheese sauce sounds interesting Ive never hear of that one and my pb 5lb 11oz came of this spot on ledgered cheese paste.

Its a good spot for wind as its on the inside of a bend with a high wooded bank on the other side and rapping around 3 sides of it and the only open side is behind me which helps if the wind is from there.

Thanks again.

Brian.