A game angler reported three times by a volunteer bailiff for fishing illegally has been ordered to pay fines and costs totalling £419 and had his fishing tackle confiscated and destroyed.
James Robert Lee, from Devon, appeared at Exeter Magistrates Court to face three charges of unlawfully attempting to take fish contrary to schedule one of the Theft Act and three offences of fishing without a rod licence on the River Exe in Devon, in June 2020.
His conviction followed close partnership working between the Angling Trust Voluntary Bailiff Service (VBS) in support of the police, Environment Agency Fisheries Enforcement Officers, and local angling club bailiffs.
In his capacity as club bailiff for Exeter & District Angling Association, who control the fishing rights on the river in Exeter, the volunteer found Lee fishing repeatedly without a club ticket. Using his VBS training, he reported the issue to the police and worked closely with his Angling Trust Regional Enforcement Manager Nevin Hunter, PC Martin Beck, Rural Affairs Officer for Devon, and local Environment Agency Fisheries Enforcement Officers to share information and ensure a swift response.
After Lee was observed and reported illegally fishing for a third time, the volunteer bailiff was able to support the attending officer, PC Amelia Hawkins of Devon and Cornwall Police, who found the offender to be fishing without permission and without a valid licence. PC Hawkins seized the fishing tackle Lee was using and he was reported for the offences and subsequently summonsed to attend court.
Lee was fined a total of £300 for the offences and ordered to pay a victim surcharge of £34 and costs of £85 to the Crown Prosecution Service. The magistrate also ordered Lee’s fishing equipment, which was confiscated by police, be forfeited under the Salmon and Freshwater Fisheries Act 1975 and destroyed by Devon & Cornwall Constabulary.
Nevin Hunter, Angling Trust Regional Enforcement Manager for the South West, said: “The conviction highlights the importance of teamwork, sharing intelligence and the value of the partnership between the Angling Trust Voluntary Bailiff Service, the police and Environment Agency.
“Hopefully, the fines and loss of his rods and reels will ensure that if Mr Lee goes fishing in the future he does so legally, respecting the need to have a valid Environment Agency fishing licence and to make sure he has the relevant day ticket or permit on club waters.
“I commend the actions of our volunteer bailiff and his club bailiff colleagues for reporting the actions of Mr Lee and of the police in dealing with this case. The police and VBS liaising with the local Environment Agency Fishery Enforcement Officers have achieved an excellent outcome. This should massively reassure local anglers and angling clubs that those breaking the law will be pursued and prosecuted and that the Angling Trust Voluntary Bailiff Service play a vital role in supporting angling across the country.”
PC Martin Beck said: “This result sends a clear message that working together we will help address criminality of concern to our local community and the Exeter & District Angling Association are an integral part of this in the Exeter area. We have built a strong relationship with the Angling Trust VBS and the Environment Agency and working together have shown what can be achieved.”
The Angling Trust Voluntary Bailiff Service is an important partnership between the Angling Trust and Environment Agency coordinated by the Angling Trust Fisheries Enforcement Support Service and funded by fishing licence income. Volunteers receive comprehensive training from enforcement professionals to support the Environment Agency and police in an eyes and ears capacity as part of a multi-agency approach to protecting fish and fishing.
Fishing Seat Box & Rucksack Fly Sea Fishing Seat Back Pack Ruck Sack RODDARCH
BISON 5 SECTION TRAVEL FLY / SPINNING ROD 8' #4/6 FREE UK DELIVERY
£24.99 in stock
SHAKESPEARE FLY FISHING KIT . TACKLE BAG NET ROD REEL LINE FLIES
Sea Fishing Beach Rod Tripod Rest 3/5 ft for 2 Rods / Reels WITH STEADY BAR
FLY FISHING KIT . TACKLE BAG NET ROD REEL LINE FLIES
Maxcatch Multi-pocket Fly Fishing Vest Backpack Chest Mesh Bag Adjustable Size
Sea Fishing Beach Stabilizer Bar Parker Tripod 3/6 ft Extending for 2 Rods
Dirt Boot® Nylon Chest Waders 100% Waterproof FLY Coarse Fishing Muck Wader
Maxcatch Fly Fishing Mesh Vest Adjustable Mutil-Pocket Outdoor Universal Size
Lixada Fly Fishing Rod and Reel Combo with Carry Bag 9ft Fishing Rod Fishing Reel with Line 10 PCS Flies Complete Starter Package Fly Fishing Kit
- 【Complete Fishing Kit】- Complete fly fishing kit includes a fly rod, reel with line, 10 flies and a storage bag.
- 【Lightweight & Strong】- 9' 4-piece carbon fiber rod with cork handle and aluminum reel seat.Lightweight, strong ABS reel spooled with fly line.
- 【Fishing Bait Box】- 10pcs flies are well packed in a transparent plastic box.
- 【Waterproof Storage Bag】- Water-resistant canvas bag with removable, adjustable shoulder strap.
- 【Ideal Set for Beginners】- The bag has two compartments to keep all the fishing tackle in order.Great gift for fly fishing beginners.
MAXIMUMCATCH Maxcatch Fly Fishing Flies Kit with Fishing Box Fly Assortment Dry/Wet Flies, Nymphs, Streamers,Handmade Fly Fishing Lures (Flies Assortment 120 flies with fly box)
- Complete Flies Assortment-- 120pcs flies in total, includes dry flies, wet flies, nymphs and streamers, suitable for fishing bass, salmon, trout and for different situations.
- Quality Flies --All the flies in this kit are 100% hand-tied by fly fishing professionals with sharp and strong hooks.
- Each pattern is selected based on the choice of experienced anglers. Vivid color and different styles feathers are to attract the fish.
- Waterproof Fly Box--All the fly fishing flies come in a waterproof double side fly box to keep your flies organized and dry. The clear lid design make picking out what you want easy and fast.
- Easy to Carry—Box size: 5.9’’x3.8’’x1.77’’, portable to carry in your fishing vest.
Fly Fishing: Memories of Angling Days
|Is Adult Product|
|Number Of Pages||130|