still no mullet!!

manxlad

Still a bit hit and miss here too, I'm still after no.4 for this year. Still haven't managed anything bigger than my first of the season yet though, with my favourite "big fish" swim only producing 1.5/2.5lb fish. :(

Some days I'm getting non stop bites, other days only a the odd bite here and there....very frustrating. Things are looking good for this weekend though, especially with a full 1 degree jump in the sea temperature overnight last night. I'm busting to get out and try the new centrepin too!!

In the meantime i'll have to keep myself occupied finishing off reading Graham's "Esox Panic" article!!

Anyway, I'm still biting my nails, waiting for Leon to trounce us all with his first catch.....another whopper no doubt!! :D

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

at last the first shoal has arrived at douglas sea wall, a pod of about 60 fish in the 2 to 3 lb mark, all playing about but not that interested in bait yet!!

watch this space!

what is the centre pin like chippy? you should have a bit of fun with a decent fish on one.

anyone tried fishing with maggots? as there is some info from other sites that the guys have had good success at high water marks near rotting seaweed. any comments from any other mulletiers?

manxlad:

Anyone tried fishing with maggots? as there is some info from other sites that the guys have had good success at high water marks near rotting seaweed. any comments from any other mulletiers?

Fishing with maggots is covered in the Mullet FAQs here: http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/authors/leon22.htm

Last year, a MMG member tried using maggots from Sun Pier.

He put a small hole in the bottom of a tin, filled the tin with maggots, and suspended this over the side of the pier so that the maggots emerging from the hole would trickle into the tide.

He didn't catch any mullet, but had a shoal of pouting lined up downtide, waiting for the maggots to drop, and no shortage of bites!

I've not heard of any Medway mullet coming out yet.

The water temperature was 15.4C yesterday and conditions looked ideal during the working week.

Oh well! next year I'll be retired and can fish when I like (once I've re-decorated the house, got my daughter's wedding out of the way, and have Brenda's permission!).

This Sunday, Medway Mullet Group are meeting for a Virgins' Fish-in, on Sun Pier at 4pm.

This is basically open for anyone who hasn't caught their first mullet, to demonstrate tackle and techniques ready for the coming season.

Anyone is welcome to come along, email me if you need further details and directions.

I'll also have a supply of NMC bread-bags (green sprout sacks)for sale at £5 for a bundle of 15.

Tight Lines - leon

Medway Mullet Group

http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/medway

National Mullet Club

http://www.go-fishing.co.uk/mullet.htm

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

Guest sslatter

Fished two hours of the high, and about half-an-hour of the run-off yesterday evening, and didn't get a bite. Not one, even. It was blowing north-easterly, which I've always found to put the fish off, the only thing worse being a full easterly. That's my excuse anyway. :D

I fished today too - Wind southwest, with a tiny little neap tide which I fished over the high in no more than 15 feet of water. Saw LOADS of big mullet in the 3 - 4lb range, swimming about in groups of 4 or so.....unfortunately they were in one of those "nose it and leave it" moods....had a few bites but I somehow managed to miss all of them :rolleyes:

I tried all the tricks in the book, even freelining with a dropper, but they just weren't having any of it. I think I managed to used just about every explenative I could think off during the course of the session....would have been nice to have had one on the new 'pin though

Sean.

Some of the charter skippers are catching mullet in landing nets for fun. A catapult? You only need to lob it out.

Last monday morning there was a group of about a dozen fish, well over 2lbs swimming around the pontoons outside the `Sailors`. I suspect that they`ll be at fishable areas at half-tide?

Just so`s you know.

Paul.

We don`t use J`s anymore!!

spasor:

Sean.

Some of the charter skippers are catching mullet in landing nets for fun. A catapult? You only need to lob it out.

Last monday morning there was a group of about a dozen fish, well over 2lbs swimming around the pontoons outside the `Sailors`. I suspect that they`ll be at fishable areas at half-tide?

Just so`s you know.

Paul.

Just to the right of here?

http://www.weymouth.gov.uk/webcams/harbourcam.htm

Just so that Paul can get a bit of relief from the withdrawl symptoms.

[ 11. May 2003, 09:33 AM: Message edited by: Jim Roper ]

https://www.harbourbridgelakes.com/

Pisces mortui solum cum flumine natant

You get more bites on Anglers Net

WeymouthSean:

Fished Weymouth Harbour had about 3 bites the whole session! Hope it gets better than this! Spoke to a guy who holds the mullet trophy at Weymouth for the last 3-4 years. Mike Chalmers anyone know him?

I think you mean Mike Channon, don't you?

https://www.harbourbridgelakes.com/

Pisces mortui solum cum flumine natant

You get more bites on Anglers Net

Sorry Jim your write Mike Channon. Only met him twice. Fished with him yesterday he lost a fish about 2 1/2lb. Using Floating crust on the surface had plenty of good bites as well. He is a mountain of knowledge when it comes to mullet fishing think I am going to hang around him for a while! Helped me loads already! Unfortuately he has not got a computer but I will keep you posted how we do!