Rivers, tools for the job

Severn Wolf

Severn Wolf:

Jim, PM on the way.

Paul, thanks for that, I`ve got my eyes on one thats a 6 or 7 weight.

Reel wise I was originally going to go for Orvis or something similar as I need a bonefish reel but they may unbalance a small rod.

Lochmor it is then!

Oh, sorry to be the one with a million questions but.......backing?

A 7-weight will be too heavy for most dry fly and general nymph work on a river, Wolf. Go for a 5, or a 6 tops. Modern fly rods, line-rating for line-rating, have a lot more "oomph" than sticks of yesteryear. I have a 9' 5-weight here that can launch a biggish, heavy lure one of heck of a distance, which an old # 5 simply couldn't without massive effort (or perfect timing) and the risk of a size 8 longshank stuck in your neck or ear.

PS

Just saw the thing about backing. Well, unless you are going after bonefish (which, you know, run just a bit), anything cheap and spool-filling will do. Several firms do dacron backing at various prices. Hit a few websites - Glasgow AC (above), Tightlines, Sportfish etc, and see what they've got. You won't ever see that backing unless you happen to hook a very rare Teme salmon...

About reel weights. Don't worry about putting several ounces of reel on, say, a 3.5 ounce rod -- it won't unbalance it.

"What did you expect to see out of a Torquay hotel bedroom window? Sydney Opera House perhaps? The Hanging Gardens of Babylon? Herds of wildebeest sweeping majestically...?"

Basil Fawlty to the old bat, guest from hell, Mrs Richards.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fishtec are doing clearance on airflo rods for £39.99 plus matching airflo line for a tenner. Personaly i think an 8.6 ft 4/5 WT would be your ideal rod and check out orvis rocky mountain reels for quality and price.. Actually maybe go for an orvis outfit from Glasgow Angling. Good Luck

Severn, you'll need an 8 weight for bones and a warm water line. not just for the long casting thats required but also to handle the weighted 'charlies' that you'll be throwing.

A reel to match is going to set you back a fair bit too. Its not going to be used for just a

line receptacle, it'll need to be able to handle some fairly powerful runs and the clutch needs to be up to the job. Dont forget that 'cuda and permit tend to run where there are bonefish and you might just see your flyline and backing disappear quicker than you can say 'bugger bugger bugger'

'I've got a mind like a steel wassitsname'

Yeah, I was planning on a 9 for the bones, when an onshore breeze gets up it can be tough to get a cast out with 2 swan shrimp rig let alone a fly line!! Reel is going be be a proper job saltie, cost doesn`t matter, those things steam off by all accounts (spent a few days wading and sightcasting for them on the Keys, never saw one!!!)

Anyway, back to the rivers. Theres one on eBay at the mo

Rod

Looks quite nice.

Jay, I was looking at the Orvis reels a while back, its certainly an option.

Thing is I don`t mind a bit of a compromise with the reels but the rod has to be right otherwise it`d be a bit like gudgeon bashing with a spod rod.

wolf.gif

Severn Wolf:

Yeah, I was planning on a 9 for the bones, when an onshore breeze gets up it can be tough to get a cast out with 2 swan shrimp rig let alone a fly line!! Reel is going be be a proper job saltie, cost doesn`t matter, those things steam off by all accounts (spent a few days wading and sightcasting for them on the Keys, never saw one!!!)

Anyway, back to the rivers. Theres one on eBay at the mo

Rod  

Looks quite nice.

Jay, I was looking at the Orvis reels a while back, its certainly an option.

Thing is I don`t mind a bit of a compromise with the reels but the rod has to be right otherwise it`d be a bit like gudgeon bashing with a spod rod.

Keys, Here (increasingly boring, for Some, and less-accessible), Wherever, Whatever.

Just get what's right for you, tackle-wise, without any of the silly, corporate hype.

This way, you and others, like those a lot younger than us and less able to buy, might end up fishing far into the 'Few Chewer'...

Maybe.

"What did you expect to see out of a Torquay hotel bedroom window? Sydney Opera House perhaps? The Hanging Gardens of Babylon? Herds of wildebeest sweeping majestically...?"

Basil Fawlty to the old bat, guest from hell, Mrs Richards.

Going back to the original question

Paul Boote:

get a double taper line. This way, when the front half wears out after a season or three of use you can reverse the line and get another a season or three out of it.
Another point is that at the relatively short distances cast (as opposed to ressys and the sea) the Double Taper will drop onto the water more delicately than a Weight Forward.

Also, as you get proficient at fishing running water, you will want to "mend" your line (give it a flip to straighten out bows induced by the current) it is much easier to do that with a double taper.

also, IMHO switch and roll casting is easier with a DT, and on a small river you need those casts pretty often.

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

I think a good fast to moderate fast action rod would be agood choice. One reason, they'll help increase accuracy and they'll be able to get the fly out to your spot in a hard wind because of the tight loops a fast action rod is able to provide.

A good premium rod co. that has a line of rods for less than $100.00 US(I believe that's about 50 of your pounds) is St. Croix. They are based in Wisconsin and the rods are some of the best in the industry here in the States. I would reccomend one of these rods to any one. I own a 3 weight and two of their float rods.

Another really good brand (very premium) is Sage www.sageflyfish.com. I own a SP+ in a 6 weight and I've handled steelhead over 10 pounds on it. I also own a Sage GSP (spinning rod) and that too is a reallyt nice rod. The SP+ is a fast action and with a good line a competent caster can cast the line 100+ feet.

I'll give you one other brand that is also very premium and that's RL Winston. I own one of these also a Boron XTR in a eight weight. The rod is an absolute beast. It's a far cry from the rods they are known for. Winston makes probably THE best trout rods.

Like everyone else said the reel is secondary to the rod and the line and leader material. All the reel does is keep the line out of the way.

But if your wondering about a good brand, Bauer makes a really good reel, Teton is another, Cortland, and Abel.

For a line a weight forward floating line will do the job you need it to do. If you are going to do some dry fly fishing you might want to try a double taper fly ine.

A good all around rod weight to consider is a five or six weight. Like a few others have said the six will allow you to reach hard to get to lies and it'll beable to get the fly out to your spot in a stiff wind.

Considering how strong your pound is to the US Dollar you might consider buying from the States. I don't know what the duty is in your country, but a few years ago when the Dollar was stronger a friend and I would order Drennan floats from the UK and save a considerable amount of money over what the tackle shops here were charging.

Here are a few links for you to look at.

www.sageflyfish.com

www.winstonrods.com

www.stcroixrods.com

www.bauerflyreel.com

www.abelreels.com

www.tetonflyreels.net (questoutdoors.net did a product review on one check it out).

I hope this helps.

Randy

http://www.questoutdoors.net