Fly fishing is...

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#31 Steve Walker

Steve Walker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,126 posts
  • Interests:Coarse, game and sea angling. Cars, gardening, cooking, lousy guitar playing. Stuff.

Posted 15 August 2012 - 04:26 PM

Yep, I've got an SK4 too!

#32 arbocop

arbocop

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,420 posts
  • Interests:Fishing, Angling, Fish, Cycling, Trees, Conservation, Natural History, Music, Gardening, Walking, Camping, Food - particularly fish - and old motorcycles. Oh and fishing, and did I mention angling and cycling?

Posted 15 August 2012 - 08:01 PM

An intersting thread. I have deliberately caught trout on the fly [obviously], dace, grayling, pike, chub, pollack and bass. Accidentally, I've caught chub, perch, roach and rudd.

I agree with the comments about dace being quick. I was fishing for trout once on the mayfly, and despite me being able to raise trout, I remained transfixed by the dace, trying to catch them despite it being an almost lost cause.

One fish I would love to catch on the fly is a grey mullet. I have caught them on bread in harbours, but I would love to get one on the fly. I am aware that you can catch them on maggot imitations when the seaweed is rotting, but what else? Small fish imitations? Dry fly?

Photos, locations and advice please!

Mike
"I want some repairs done to my cooker as it has backfired and burnt my knob off."

#33 greg long

greg long

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,794 posts
  • Interests:fishing & painting

Posted 21 August 2012 - 09:26 PM

Nowhere near.... A hopeless case is when you go fly fishing for roach :rolleyes:

I'm gone then. :lol:
IF YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE THE BEST
Don't seek a second opinion.

http://www.anglingireland.info
Fish Paintings
Linocut fishy prints..

#34 Leon Roskilly

Leon Roskilly

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,436 posts
  • Interests:Fishing (Coarse, Sea & Game), Conservation & Cycling

Posted 23 August 2012 - 05:00 PM

Tell me the disease hasn't progressed to the point of fly fishing for mullet? It's pretty much terminal at that stage.

A Facebook page for the damned!

http://www.facebook....01945333243723/

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

#35 kenj

kenj

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 162 posts
  • Interests:All aspects of angling, shooting, classic motor bikes and motor racing.

Posted 08 February 2013 - 11:22 AM

Hi arbocop, Try to get some grey mullet flyfishing this summer. Beats rainbows hands down. I used to have the Saturday fishing rights on the Waterloo Stream, an offshoot of the Avon in Christchurch and first caught a 2 lb mullet, when catching big dace on a Peter Ross sea trout fly. Fantastic long leaping runs in the shallows with the tide going out. On another day fishing from my boat, I had a fish on every cast with an old Jersey Herd, but lost all but one, a four pounder, due I think to the soft mouth.