Fly fishing is...

Steve Walker

Tell me the disease hasn't progressed to the point of fly fishing for mullet? It's pretty much terminal at that stage.

Not yet.

Though I do now have a saltwater reel ready and loaded with line, a 7/8 wt rod, and a selection of saltwater flies just waiting to be used. :o

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tell me the disease hasn't progressed to the point of fly fishing for mullet? It's pretty much terminal at that stage.

Oh dear, I seem to be doomed then!

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

Hopeless case. :P

Nowhere near.... A hopeless case is when you go fly fishing for roach :rolleyes:

John S

Quanti Canicula Ille In Fenestra

Species caught in 2017 Common Ash, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, White Willow.

Species caught in 2016: Alder, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Crab Apple, Left Earlobe, Pedunculate Oak, Rock Whitebeam, Scots Pine, Smooth-leaved Elm, Swan, Wayfaring tree.

Species caught in 2015: Ash, Bird Cherry, Black-Headed Gull, Common Hazel, Common Whitebeam, Elder, Field Maple, Gorse, Puma, Sessile Oak, White Willow.

Species caught in 2014: Big Angry Man's Ear, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Common Whitebeam, Downy Birch, European Beech, European Holly, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, Wych Elm.
Species caught in 2013: Beech, Elder, Hawthorn, Oak, Right Earlobe, Scots Pine.

Species caught in 2012: Ash, Aspen, Beech, Big Nasty Stinging Nettle, Birch, Copper Beech, Grey Willow, Holly, Hazel, Oak, Wasp Nest (that was a really bad day), White Poplar.
Species caught in 2011: Blackthorn, Crab Apple, Elder, Fir, Hawthorn, Horse Chestnut, Oak, Passing Dog, Rowan, Sycamore, Willow.
Species caught in 2010: Ash, Beech, Birch, Elder, Elm, Gorse, Mullberry, Oak, Poplar, Rowan, Sloe, Willow, Yew.

I am giving some consideration to a local small shallow pit with a large population of little tench. They bubble so obviously that it would not be hard to sight-fish for them...

All,

The most afflicted over here fly fish for 4 - 5 inch wild brook trout. How do those dace take to the fly?

The only thing worse than a fly fisherman is a flyfisherman who smokes a pipe.

Phone

All,

The most afflicted over here fly fish for 4 - 5 inch wild brook trout. How do those dace take to the fly?

Greedily!

greedy.jpg

(the one I had the other night wasn't quite that tiny, but it was still pretty small)

They're more challenging to hit than trout, they take and reject pretty quickly, but I was really looking for chub.

We have "purists" who only ever fish for tiny wild brown trout, and look down their nose at anyone catching stocked fish. I do enjoy a bit of that, but the brownies in the river I fish are more like 8-12 inches.

The only thing worse than a fly fisherman is a flyfisherman who smokes a pipe.

Just one more thing to tangle the line around!

er, Just a question you understand.

When targeting coarse fish with a fly-rod, is ground-baiting frowned upon?

Oh! and if they are snaffling the free-offerings but ignoring the artificial flies, what's the form to switching to a maggot (or a lump of bread) on the hook?

Just asking like :rolleyes:

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

Leon

It is poor form enough to be targetting coarse fish on the fly, never mind groundbaiting for them as well! :nono:

Tony

After a certain age, if you don't wake up aching in every joint, you are probably dead.