Fly fishing is...

Steve Walker

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

An intersting thread. I have deliberately caught trout on the fly [obviously], dace, grayling, pike, chub, pollack and bass. Accidentally, I've caught chub, perch, roach and rudd.

I agree with the comments about dace being quick. I was fishing for trout once on the mayfly, and despite me being able to raise trout, I remained transfixed by the dace, trying to catch them despite it being an almost lost cause.

One fish I would love to catch on the fly is a grey mullet. I have caught them on bread in harbours, but I would love to get one on the fly. I am aware that you can catch them on maggot imitations when the seaweed is rotting, but what else? Small fish imitations? Dry fly?

Photos, locations and advice please!

Mike

"I want some repairs done to my cooker as it has backfired and burnt my knob off."

Tell me the disease hasn't progressed to the point of fly fishing for mullet? It's pretty much terminal at that stage.

A Facebook page for the damned!

http://www.facebook.com/groups/101945333243723/

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

• 5 months later...

Hi arbocop, Try to get some grey mullet flyfishing this summer. Beats rainbows hands down. I used to have the Saturday fishing rights on the Waterloo Stream, an offshoot of the Avon in Christchurch and first caught a 2 lb mullet, when catching big dace on a Peter Ross sea trout fly. Fantastic long leaping runs in the shallows with the tide going out. On another day fishing from my boat, I had a fish on every cast with an old Jersey Herd, but lost all but one, a four pounder, due I think to the soft mouth.