Hook link

Quest

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Josh Iddon

Any knot is a weak point, so I cant see the difference in knotting 15lb mainline to a swivel and knotting two different hooklength materals together. Josh

Edited by Josh Iddon

I know where Quests original question came from.

Many magazines do show rigs which have a higher breaking strain than the mainline. It confuses me too.

I find it strange to put a higher B.S link to a mainline but as has been mentioned above, many hooklink materials are bought which have a pretty hefty B.S.

I think it's just a matter of balancing the rig up the best you can. As long as it is safe and the lead can break free upon snapping all should be well. I think! :g:

Any knot is a weak point, so I cant see the difference in knotting 15lb mainline to a swivel and knotting two different hooklength materals together. Josh

yeah but the way budgie is talking he is saying add a weak point in the middle of the hooklink....thats why people use coated braid so to cut down on extra knots ect so ther won't be a weak point...you just can't add extra weak points in for the sake of it...everything has to be strong and up to the job.....wot would most people say if you was to tie a granny knot in the middle of every hooklink you use so it will break ther....sorry but thats just bad angling.....very bad angling

Edited by scoop

Weak points created by knots are some thing you need to account for in any rig.

The weak point will as others have said be where ever the knot is used a fact that we cant get away with.My point is that if something is a possible weak link and a break is possible at that point then it is only semnsible to reduce the amount of tackle that can potentialy be left behind.

As for "good angling" then as Ive said many many times before on angling forums,at slide shows,in mags etc the only really safe rig and safe way of angling is to ensure that you dont break the line in the first place,thats good angling.

To save repeating my veiws on "safe rigs" try doing a search on here alone.

A lighter hook length than mainline is the time tried and tested basic method of avoiding tethers and lots of lost tackle.

The term "safe rig" has only apeared in angling via cap fishing in recent years. this is much to do with higher hook length BS than mainline being used. And dare I say it a general lack in the basic angling skills of modern day carpers.

Scoop you obviousley consider the saftey aspect of your rigs.Your aproach is indeed in line with much modern day thinking.I was merely pointing out an alternative veiw on safety to those who had questioned after all what is a basic angling principle.Very unfair and quite incorrect to class it as bad angling.

If you have such a lack of faith in knots then I respectfully suggest you look at the knot you use,the way you tie it and the materials you tie it in!

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

if you have such a lack of faith in knots then I respectfully suggest you look at the knot you use,the way you tie it and the materials you tie it in!

sorry i'm obviousley not good enough to voice my opinion on these matters as i've not done as many slide shows as you or written as many articles for mags... so sorry i must now get down on my knees and worship at your feet just as Anderoo does......i have every confidence in my knots and the materials i use....i have never had any breakages in knots that i have tied and i have never fished with an unsafe rig....how dare you question my ''lack of faith'' and ''the knots and materials'' i use....the reason i'm thinking on the modern line is because i'm not stuck in the past as it quite clearly seems you are...times have changed..... so before you start questioning and slagging off other peoples angling abilities and techniques you need to look a bit closer to home....SPEAKS WISELY.....MY ARSE

Edited by scoop