Devon/Dorset fish meet/match

richi

Where are the Skerries? :huh:

If you wanted to go Speciman.I could drive

between Brixham and Plymouth off of Start point I think

Team Ocean Kayaks U.K.

Kayaks: Necky vector,Flame SPTW

previous Kayaks:Yellow Ocean Kayaks Caper,Flame Prowler 13,Sunrise Ocean Kayaks Prowler 15 Trident, Perception Dancer XT

assisted rescues---5

longest paddle:65 miles

top speed under sail 11.1mph

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It does look good Speciman with the benefit of the Salcombe estuary close by in case of bad weather :thumbs:

Team Ocean Kayaks U.K.

previous Kayaks:Yellow Ocean Kayaks Caper,Flame Prowler 13,Sunrise Ocean Kayaks Prowler 15 Trident, Perception Dancer XT

assisted rescues---5

Speciman

Ref Warbarrow. Its definately a place to try. I will be there as soon as that yak arrives. Fish the Tout just about every weekend in the summer weather permiting. Where the track meets the shingle would normally be launchable subject to weather. Although the shingle profile can change dramatically after a westerly. The small bay on the eastern side of the Tout would be difficult but not impossible to get down to but the major problem is the football size rocks and shallow shelf that goes out to the sea. Fine in calm conditions but any kind of swell could make landing/launching hazardous. It is actually just over 3/4 mile walk from the car park, just measured it, its not getting there its the uphill haul back after a long days paddle.

Having said all that, I would do it everyday of the week if I could. The place is that special. JUst dont want people to be put off because of the trek. Still think the best option would be to launch from Lulworth and approach from the west. This is an easy launch in the cove paddle past the fossil forest (good fishing in its own right) and enter the bay from Mupe Rocks (wreck close by). The eastern end (ray marks) as discussed above is still easily accessible (furthest point 3/4 mile). Spring tides (never strong) will be running east to west so will help with the paddle home. Would be a great location with Poole Harbour as a bad weather option.

All this planning is giving me itchy paddles just need to get out there! :wallbash::fishing::bigemo_harabe_net-193:

Edited by darnsarf

Fished since 2003, the rest of my life I just wasted.

Southampton, Scupper Pro TW Angler: Yarak2.

Member of the OK fishing Team ( I have had free bits) :-)

Good info Darnsarf :) re:launching.. if we fish Worbarrow I don't mind launching from Lulworth or from Worbarrow. However, Lulworth Cove maybe busier on that day.

Edited by SpeciMan
Kaskazi Dorado - Yellow

Yep it will be busy. It was the day we paddled out in January! Guaranteed a crowd. Best Hats on :lol:

Fished since 2003, the rest of my life I just wasted.

Southampton, Scupper Pro TW Angler: Yarak2.

Member of the OK fishing Team ( I have had free bits) :-)

post-7370-1141340375_thumb.jpg
Guaranteed a crowd. Best Hats on :lol:
I think there's a contender for your crown in the photo darnsarf

Team Ocean Kayaks U.K.

assisted rescues---5

Hi All

I have fished the Skerries Banks many many times from a boat, since 1982, on the right tide and weather conditions, between April and June 3-4lb Plaice are normal 5lb'ers are regular. Fish between 1-2lb are numerous. Trawlers are banned from the banks so this leaves them in good condition for the Spring Plaice run, also at this time of year Blonde Ray, Spotted Ray and Bass also gather on the Banks, the big attraction is Sandeel.

I nearly made it out there twice last year on my YAK but as I was paddling alone, I backed out and fished under the cliffs between Hallsands Beach and Start Point, this area is sheltered from anything other than a wind with Easterly in it. This is a big Bass area, along with Flatties, Ray, Pollock and Wrasse. On anything with an Easterly the fish do not feed on the Banks either.

The banks rise up out of about 20m of water to about 2m at low water and are about a mile paddle from Hallsands beach. The Charter boats that fish there are mostly from Dartmouth but, others do fish there from Torquay and Plymouth if the weather is right. As the banks rise up to such a shallow depth anything more than a Force 2-3 produces quite a swell, even a big tide running will create quite a chop. So, ideally you would need nothing more than a Force 2 following a couple of calm days.

Fishing is done at anchor over the low water period and drifting on the incoming tide, the current can be very strong coming around Start Point so a neap tide is the ideal, on a big spring I have had to use a pound and a half lead to hold bottom (on 12lb rod).

There is a free car park right on the beach at Hallsands, and the beach is a steep-to beach, 5yds out and your in 30ft of water.

If I can get the right weather conditions this year I am determined to make it out there, would love to see the charter skippers faces as I drift by!

As you say the Salcombe Eatuary is only a mile or two away and always has its own Spring Plaice run and is very sheltered.

Just another thought, the Shambles Banks, very similar to the Skerries are of Weymouth. I don't know how far off but I know they give the Skerries a good run for their money each year. In fact last year I think a private boat angler had a Plaice only a couple of ounces off the British record.

Tried to add some pics of the Skerries.!

post-6302-1141340030_thumb.jpg

Way to far for alot of us for 1 days fishing.Thats North Devon.Plus Bank holiday weekend.It will Take us about 6 hours to get there :blink:

Same here although I am mad keen to get sea fishing.

Any weekend / long weekenders going ?

:(

Chris - Surrey

Prowler 13 in MANGO.

Sweeeeet.....:)

Kaskazi Dorado

comes with swimming pool as standard

Great Post Yaskalos.

The Skerries seem very appealing I didn't realise that trawlers weren't allowed along there.

I don't think the Shambles would be a suitable alternative. Its right in the Portland Race and launching would need to be from Portland (it may be tricky to find a suitable launch point down there for a group).

Kaskazi Dorado - Yellow