Your Quote - “The figure of four million is utterly spurious.”

Clearly it is not!

• 2.6 million (6%) of the 43

million people aged over 12 in

England and Wales went fishing

in freshwaters in the last year.

1.5 million people fished just

in the sea.

So where is your evidence to back up what you claim?

Weasel words and lack of referencing your claims Mr McCraw, as you have consistently done throughout your replies, just don’t cut it!

Your Strawman is looking very silly though it. :thumbs::D

In fact, he’s in danger of braking up and being smashed to pieces in the next riffle and plunge pool he comes to. :clap2:

phil h.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Neither has fair, responsible access led to such an effect in other countries (apart from Germany, apparently).

It's interesting that this argument has completely swung away from access by canoeists being bad, to "canoeists aren't so bad, it's the hoardes of day trippers in hire boats we're worried about".

D.

Mr.McCraw, you appear to be completely disingenuous. My description of conditions in Germany was confined to those conditions, because I have intimate knowledge of them. There is no reason to suppose that it is any better elsewhere. Neither have you tendered any evidence to the contrary.

The "argument" if one may term it such, has never been against "canoeists", but against general access for various boats etc, regardless of the specific terminology.

Lastly, anglers per se do not "control" anything at all, either individually or collectively. They are merely obliged to pay those who do control the waters for access .

So, even in the extremely unlikely event of you convincing anglers here or elsewhere that you should have access, it would do you no good at all, as you are barking up the wrong tree.

MC

Edited by Mike Connor

The result of the BBC poll shows a majority against general access by canoeists, despite an intense & aggressive campaign by the canoe activists.

Just a thought, I wonder how many canoeists are members of the ACA? Or don't they mind paddling about in polluted water?

• 4 months later...

gozzer - what a nasty thing to do. I just had to go back and read over this entire topic again.

I had forgotten how many folks joined AN when this topic started, posted to it only, and haven't been heard from since. Oddly enough, that included several who went on about what dedicated anglers they are.

We do seem to have a large number of folks in the Kayak section who are having great fun rigging their yaks for fishing, doing lots of fishing, and generally having a good time. Mostly sea anglers but increasing numbers who enjoy fishing fresh water as well.

I think I like them a bit better than some of the long winded folk who have only ever been heard from on this topic. As someone noted (maybe you), they were really selective about which points they were prepared to notice and respond to.

Probably just as well you found the updated info and added it since we have lots of newish members who weren't around in May and who might like to become better informed on an issue that will affect anglers and isn't likely to go away.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Hi Newt, just noticed it in a local paper and looked it up on the net, thought it might be of interest.

You read the whole thread? That's above and beyond the call of duty :o:D .

I look in on the kayak forum pretty regularly. Their exploits make good reading, and they look a friendly bunch, but they're as mad as a barrel of monkeys. (especially when talking of trying for porbeagles from a 'yak) :o;)

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John