Marine Protected Areas.

Steve Coppolo

Hi Steve Good

If you read the SFC consultation

Details at http://www.sussex-sfc.gov.uk/Vacancies1.htm it is about getting sensible elasmobranch management policies.

The reason I believe, why you disagree with it, is because it will stop the progressive commercial rape of the elasmobranches

What's wrong in increasing the MLS on Rays so they have a chance to breed.

Their website states anecdotal evidence suggests smoothound are on the increase.

As far as I am aware, No angling organisation is asking for any controls on the smoothound, so that's just your paranoia Steve.

As for the national tope consultation. you can thank your colleagues from Lowestoft for that. Are anglers just supposed to sit back and watch an increased commercial pressure on tope wipe them out as they did to the spur dog in the 80,s

The threat was from the UK, not the French or the Belgians. Once again a demonstration of commercials fishermans apparent lack of any care for the ecosystem.

SOS supported Options 2, 3, and 4 on the SFC consultation

SOS and others will be taking the tope fight to Europe if the Defra tope consultation adopts option 2

www.ssacn.org

www.tagsharks.com

www.onyermarks.co.uk

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh for the record i also think marine protected areas should mean just that, protected from all types of fishing commercials and anglers alike, otherwise what would be the point in calling them that???????

Why do you think that Stavey, if you don't mind me asking? I thought the idea of MPA's was to protect what was in them, ie, not just fish but other marine wildlife like moluscs, worms, etc. If a certain commercial fishing method, like beam trawling for instance, is proved to damage the environment, but angling has little or no impact, why should angling also be banned?

It's the willingness to give away our rights for no good reason, other than to appease commercial fishermen, that will sea this sport dead on it's arse in afew years time if we are not very careful.

DRUNK DRIVERS WRECK LIVES.

Don't drink and drive.

Hi Steve Good

If you read the SFC consultation

Details at http://www.sussex-sfc.gov.uk/Vacancies1.htm it is about getting sensible elasmobranch management policies.

The reason I believe, why you disagree with it, is because it will stop the progressive commercial rape of the elasmobranches

What's wrong in increasing the MLS on Rays so they have a chance to breed.

Their website states anecdotal evidence suggests smoothound are on the increase.

As far as I am aware, No angling organisation is asking for any controls on the smoothound, so that's just your paranoia Steve.

As for the national tope consultation. you can thank your colleagues from Lowestoft for that. Are anglers just supposed to sit back and watch an increased commercial pressure on tope wipe them out as they did to the spur dog in the 80,s

The threat was from the UK, not the French or the Belgians. Once again a demonstration of commercials fishermans apparent lack of any care for the ecosystem.

SOS supported Options 2, 3, and 4 on the SFC consultation

SOS and others will be taking the tope fight to Europe if the Defra tope consultation adopts option 2

[/quote

Hi Ian Burrett

QUOTE/ As for the national tope consultation. you can thank your colleagues from Lowestoft for that. Are anglers just supposed to sit back and watch an increased commercial pressure on tope wipe them out as they did to the spur dog in the 80,s

What planet have you been on this lasted 20 years, french and channel isles boats have been longlining large amounts of tope off the sussex, hampshire and dorset coasts for years and french and belguim trawlers catch alot of tope as well.

It seems to me that it is allright for these other eu boats to catch as much tope as they wish but when a couple of guys from lowestoft catch some then you jump on them you need to sort out your priorities or is it just a very bad case of you want all the marbles

I have been catching tons of tope on and off commercial for years there has allways been a ready market for them they are exported to france

Any measures will be a waste of time as tope spend more time outside the 6 mile limit than inside it, any measures need to be done at EU level or not at all

Just supposing tope were made an angler only fish, for your information tope are a TOP PREDATOR and when they reach plague vermin proportions will the sfc cull them. If a uk trawlerman catch tons of tope in his trawl will he be expected to just shovel them back only to catch them in the next tow

kind regards stephen

Why do you think that Stavey, if you don't mind me asking? I thought the idea of MPA's was to protect what was in them, ie, not just fish but other marine wildlife like moluscs, worms, etc. If a certain commercial fishing method, like beam trawling for instance, is proved to damage the environment, but angling has little or no impact, why should angling also be banned?

It's the willingness to give away our rights for no good reason, other than to appease commercial fishermen, that will sea this sport dead on it's arse in afew years time if we are not very careful.

Hi steve

Well i happen to think it makes the whole thing less complicated and is more likely to appeal to everyone, ie, environmental groups etc.

If anglers are going to continue to base most of there arguements and campaigns on conservation! hadden they lead by example? i accept that compared to commercials sea anglers (and some like me that return everything alive) landings are miniscule but that is not the point is it steve, if i had to give up doing any type of sea angling for a year or two and it meant a total rest for some of my area from commercial pressure? i would have no hessitation in obliging.

It is easy for me to say this as i do not rely on one of my hobbies for a living (unlike a lot of people on this forum) but there you go i just go sea angling for pure pleasure only, and that aint much nowadays.

question steve? your stour and orwel proposal that did not even get off the ground, had you included an option that excluded all types of fishing including angling for a set period of time like 2 years how do you think it would have been received? it would have been interesting atleast to see the commercials responce on it.

It might look to some if not all the people on this forum that old stavey is anti sea angling now and i have lost the plot but it is getting to the point where i will give up on the hobby soon anyhow as things are so bad and have been for so long, i bet i am not the only one who has had this thought.

Its all about pain and gain in life i am told, and as much as i dislike some of the commercials fishing practices i dont happen to think we can expect them to shoulder it all, no matter what damage over fishing has done to fish stocks and the environment, cheers.................

I Fish For Sport Not Me Belly

Hi steve

Well i happen to think it makes the whole thing less complicated and is more likely to appeal to everyone, ie, environmental groups etc.

If anglers are going to continue to base most of there arguements and campaigns on conservation! hadden they lead by example? i accept that compared to commercials sea anglers (and some like me that return everything alive) landings are miniscule but that is not the point is it steve, if i had to give up doing any type of sea angling for a year or two and it meant a total rest for some of my area from commercial pressure? i would have no hessitation in obliging.

It is easy for me to say this as i do not rely on one of my hobbies for a living (unlike a lot of people on this forum) but there you go i just go sea angling for pure pleasure only, and that aint much nowadays.

question steve? your stour and orwel proposal that did not even get off the ground, had you included an option that excluded all types of fishing including angling for a set period of time like 2 years how do you think it would have been received? it would have been interesting atleast to see the commercials responce on it.

It might look to some if not all the people on this forum that old stavey is anti sea angling now and i have lost the plot but it is getting to the point where i will give up on the hobby soon anyhow as things are so bad and have been for so long, i bet i am not the only one who has had this thought.

Its all about pain and gain in life i am told, and as much as i dislike some of the commercials fishing practices i dont happen to think we can expect them to shoulder it all, no matter what damage over fishing has done to fish stocks and the environment, cheers.................

Hello Stavey

But surely just giving up our rights because it "would make things easier", or "would be fairer to commercial fishermen" isn't a good enough reason. Just ask yourself why it is that DEFRA now feel the need to have MPA's in place. Could it be because after years of mis-management and over fishing, the marine environment actually needs protecting from those who have ruined it? If so, why should anglers have to pay the price along with those who were responsible for the whole mess in the first place? It's a bit like sending the house owner to jail with the burglar. (and before you start, I haven't said that commercial fishermen are thieves!!)

The options for the Stour and Orwell proposal were set out by the SFC. We had no input on how the consultation was shaped or how the options were loaded.

Don't drink and drive.

Hello Stavey

But surely just giving up our rights because it "would make things easier", or "would be fairer to commercial fishermen" isn't a good enough reason. Just ask yourself why it is that DEFRA now feel the need to have MPA's in place. Could it be because after years of mis-management and over fishing, the marine environment actually needs protecting from those who have ruined it? If so, why should anglers have to pay the price along with those who were responsible for the whole mess in the first place? It's a bit like sending the house owner to jail with the burglar. (and before you start, I haven't said that commercial fishermen are thieves!!)

The options for the Stour and Orwell proposal were set out by the SFC. We had no input on how the consultation was shaped or how the options were loaded.

Hey steve

I do understand and pretty much agree with what your saying, but at the end of the day its gonna take light years of campaigning/debating etc, before you and me and the likes are going to see some solid proposals acted on that will make a real difference to any of us if we dont win the support of these proposals from other stakeholders.

I dont know the solution to any of this like most on here apart from saying bo**ocks to all of it and let the commercials carry on as they are until there is fu** all left for us and even for them, and hoping (if we are all still alive and fish stocks replenish themselves) to resume some sort of successful hobby.

People suggest some sort of common ground! perhaps it doe's not exist you should know better than me as you are much more heavily involved, and from how you put things over i would say that it does'nt.

I Fish For Sport Not Me Belly

Guest challenge

Where does Leon get a million anglers from? A million anglers who want to be represented? It’s a bit like saying “I ride a motorbike and there are another million motorcyclists out there that use the roads like me, who I am sure would love cars to be band of the roads” might sound stupid but it doesn’t look any more stupid than Leon’s assumptions from where we are sitting in this part of the world.

Regards.

Hello Stavey

Hi Steve

If i have understood it correctly mpa's is not defra's idea they are only carrying out EU directive under the habits act which i think also states that 30% of our sea area must be turn over to mpa's. MPA'S are suspose to be left alone which includes anglers.

Personally i think the whole situation regarding fisheries management is just turning into one big messy melting pot

MPA's = 30% that = a 2 mile strip right through all the sfd districts, which = nursery areas for other eu member states

the golden mile = 1 mile all around the coast also = nursery areas for other eu member states

MLS for bass and banning uk pair trawling for uk fishermen = FREE GIFT of our SOVERIEGN RIGHTS to other member states

same will happen with tope smoothounds skates and rays just gifted to other member states along with everything else in the pipe line that we do not know about yet and you think you are hard done by because you may not be able to drown a maggot in an MPA area, lifes a bitch is it not.

brussels is trying to make the cfp work when it is not possible so they are introduceing MPA's to help out with there mis-management, Defra has lost faith with trying do anything constructive in brussels via the cfp. So defra are quite willing to let the anglers lead them up the garden path in exchange for the VOTES. Anglers for there part are just hell bent on stuffing commercials regardless of cost with what ever they can.

And the commercials are left just trying to defend there position

Disorganized, mismanaged, disinterested, incompetant are afew words that springs to mind regarding the whole of fishery management if you can add some words to this list steve i wonder what words you would pick lol lol

oh by the way i wished my pay check was as big as these guys that make all these very important ground breaking earth shattering benifcal decisions lol lol

kind regards stephen

Disorganized, mismanaged, disinterested, incompetant are afew words that springs to mind regarding the whole of fishery management if you can add some words to this list steve i wonder what words you would pick lol lol

Probably much the same ones as you have! Plus a couple that would get my post deleted.

Don't drink and drive.

1000,000 SEA ANGLERS, yer ok, I expect this is counting every person even people that have used a crab line!

BASS MEMBER

IGFA Member.

Supporting ethical angling practices and wise use and conservation of fishery resources!

SACN Member.

NFSA Member.

Getting confused by politics!

MY LIST IS LONGER THAN YOURS!