Now Where have I Read That Before?

Leon Roskilly

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What is this and why is it relevant here ?

Hi glen, i think what fishings fine was outlining was that the commercials will be saying thankyou to challenge for the ammo to make that article, maybe????????

I Fish For Sport Not Me Belly

Personally I wouldn't eat any fish out of the Irish sea....Sellafield makes sure of that with the discharges of contanimated water etc. as for the west and south coasts what little stocks the spanish fleet left meant the only Irish fleet left were fishing out from Donegal, <_< and the greater part of them are fishing the south pacific for Hoki.

IF YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE THE BEST

Don't seek a second opinion.

http://www.anglingireland.info

Fish Paintings

Linocut fishy prints..

Hi glen, i think what fishings fine was outlining was that the commercials will be saying thankyou to challenge for the ammo to make that article, maybe????????

Well it certainly raised the profile of cod chartering, though whether commercial fishermen or RSA will benefit is very questionable - quotas set have not historically taken the effects of it into account, so if there is to be any rationalisation, quotas will have to be reduced even further, and / or there will have to be some limits placed on RSA catches. I can't see either party being really thankful.

Guest challenge

So it seams I have fame at last? I am sorry not to of replied sooner but have just returned from KRAKOW (Poland).

I was not consulted about the article by fishing news (that I have just read) or by Elton. I will be getting in touch with the editor (of fishing news) to find out who supplied the said article.

I think that the cartoon was great by the way. No I don’t smoke a pipe but would be happy to start using one if I could in some way claim royalties from doing so.

When I wrote the article I did not do it for advertising reasons as many of you suggest. But to prove a point, that the fish are there if you know where to look, this is a point that other skippers have used often as well.

As for this helping bring bag limits into the spotlight? Do you honestly think that commercial fishermen don’t know what we catch? I have talked (on the radio at sea or through e-mail, bloggs etc) with numerous commercial fishermen about what we catch. Not one of them has mentioned that we (RSA) should have bag limits imposed.

I have fought the commercial corner for most of my working life, simply because I worked with these people for a large amount of this time and I know what makes the majority of them tick.

It has nothing to do with the way that a lot on here would like to believe.

Still the article was an accurate description of what our anglers caught on that trip.

Every commercial fisherman I have talked to about what we catch has given me (and I believe john to) nothing but praise for doing what we do.

Not a single commercial fisherman has begrudged our anglers that fish.

now that does not mean that the commercial reps wont, because as I have said before, if I was a commercial representative and read what was said on this forum in regards to our commercial fishermen, I would of declared war along time on the never ending negative proper gander that is continuously rammed down your throats.

Maybe a letter to the fishing news regarding one representative’s comments on here about rod licenses and bag limits helping to get pair trawlers removed would make commercials think again before they started campaigning for bag limits?

Regards.

if I was a commercial representative and read what was said on this forum in regards to our commercial fishermen, I would of declared war along time on the never ending negative proper gander that is continuously rammed down your throats.

Hi challenge

Well if your not? why dont you stop acting like one, cheers................

I Fish For Sport Not Me Belly

Guest challenge
Hello Seaside,

Personally, I don’t think it is any more damaging than many other things that have been written on this and many other angling forums. But it proves one thing, that angling forums are being monitored by commercial fishermen.

Two years ago, I did not know that angling forums existed. However, when it was brought to my attention that a campaign was being orchestrated to try and damage my angling business, I joined this forum to try and moderate things. Since then I have joined two more forums for the same reason. (It seems for the time being the perpetrators of this vendetta are mainly concentrating on other things. Hopefully things will stay that way.)

No-one likes being called names, or to have lies told about them, or to have their livelihood threatened.

In the same way, certain other Whitby businessmen - namely, commercial fishermen - have been accused of dastardly things on this forum, by people who (to put it in the nicest possible way) are, in the main, apparently ill-informed. Names have been mentioned, and this has created a lot of bad feeling in Whitby. This being the case, I feel sure that these certain apparently-wrongly-accused commercial fishermen are now monitoring this forum. These certain people are financially successful and very well-versed in fishing politics. Therefore, the aforementioned apparently-ill-informed people stating on an open forum the precise thing that they DON’T WANT to happen doesn’t seem like a good idea to me.

Personally, I would be all in favour of a fence-mending process with the commercial fishermen. But then, I have never believed British commercial fishermen to be the enemy of anglers. It seems to me that the real enemy is now sitting back and hoping to see a good scrap between commercials and RSA.

JB

I wonder why you weren’t inundated with a local recreational response from that John.? :)