1-75 t/c rods

Have to agree with the posts above. I dont quite go as low as 1.75, but i use 2lb tcs on smaller waters, much more fun. Save the high TC rods for big waters and/or very heavy rigs. Same with Piking, i have the normal heavy dead bait rods, but if i am fishing close in with small to medium bait I use a silstar 11ft 2lb tc pike rod.

Regards

Topnotchblanker

http://fishingeverywhere.spaces.live.com/

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I use 2lb test curve rods and casting socks or pva bags with no problems, but I dont cast great distances

just one more cast then I'am off home

Just to show you how versatil those 1.75lb rods are, my 11yr old uses my 1.75lb Wychwood barbel rods for his piking and they're excellent, his best pike so far this year on them being 17lb 15oz and all sizes up to that

Loads of power in such a rod and being an "avon type action" bends when he's got a fish on and is brilliant for close in work with hard fighting fish caught from practically under the rod tip and are in fact better at handling that scenario than my 3.5lb rods

Finding 1 3/4lb or 2lb carp rods is difficult these days! They call them barbel rods now!

Love it Budgie, so true :lol: :lol:

Actually, The test curve of Barbel rods is getting ridiculous, It's not too unusual to see people with 2.5 tc rods on the Swale nowadays. Apparently anything less is suicide if your within 1/2 a mile of a snag. Odd that, I've got the Barbel power with two tips, a 1.5 & a 1.75, I've had quite a few Barbel out this year up to 10.06 & I still haven't used the 1.75 tip yet!

Peter.

The loose lines gone..STRIKE.

My Barbel rod's have 1.75 and 2lb twin tops. The 1.75 is quite soft, and a joy to use. I use this most the time with the 2lb top only being used on the odd occasion, usually on flooded rivers when I need in excess of 5oz of lead to hold bottom.

Paul

• 1 month later...
I still use 1-75 tc rods I mostly only fish small ish waters for carp not expecting anything over 20. Its so much nicer playing a fish if theres a proper bend in the rod

To be fair the test curve has little to do with the action of the rod, a 4lb fish will put a 90 degree bend in a 4lb test curve rod even though most would regard it as a poker. What you are describing is the action of the rod, not its test curve.

Hi Hugh,

I've still got and use my Daiwa Whisker carp rods, all 1.75 tc of them. I've never had a problem landing anything on them and see no reason not to carry on using them. As Newt has already said, the only time I'd need a bigger tc is if I was chucking heavy weights out further. To be honest, I never fish anywhere like that so no need to change em !

I've had them for nearly 15 years now and apart from the odd ring repair I can't fault them.

I had a pair of the original Daiwa Whisker 1.75lb about 25 yrs ago - really lovely rods and I have always regretted changing them.

I still use a cane Chapman 500 1.5lb rod for stalking and have had carp up to 30lb with them on my lake in France. An absolute joy to play fish on.