The use of bass as bait

Guest bennyTHEBASS

Guest bennyTHEBASS

ah well its nearly spring so wont be sat infront of the laptop much too busy fishing to bitch n cuss :P:P:P

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

jeepster:

same as using carp as pike bait, why is it any different to using any other fish? well it isnt is it..........

:cool: Bass is probably a good conger bait because it is tough and will withstand the ravages of pout for quite a while, unlike mackeral

which is very soft. I know some dedicated conger anglers swear by black bream as bait for the same reason. I have caught conger on wrasse, pollock, pout, gurnard, dogfish, scad, mackeral and herring to name a few. I find that the tougher fish are a better bait than the soft fish. I would assume that a dedicated conger angler wouldn't bother about using bass as bait as he's probably not a bass fanatic. If it catches bigger conger then it's a good bait and that's it. We can't realy criticise him because he doesn't hold the bass in awe or high esteem, he's a conger angler, not a member of BASS. I know pike anglers that use live trout for bait. Everyone to his own, live and let live. :D

You heard what John said!!:-))

AT the end of the day it would APPEAR that someone has got hold of the sh1tty end of the stick?

And to put the record straight a jack is probably the BEST bait for a big pike!! Or at least that is what I have always been told and I have had no problem using one either!! Or a crap or anything else!! Do predatory fish discriminate??

Chris Goddard

It is to be observed that 'angling' is the name given to fishing by people who can't fish.

If GOD had NOT meant us to go fishing, WHY did he give us arms then??

(If you can't help out someone in need then don't bother my old Dad always said! My grandma put it a LITTLE more, well different! It's like peeing yourself in a black pair of pants she said! It gives you a LOVELY warm feeling but no-one really notices!))

Bass used as dead bait would undoutably catch pike.

Last year I caught three 20plus pike on Scotish farmed salmon cutlets mounted on hair and 3/0 hook.

If the bass was a small farmed fish I would have no problem using it, but I feel there is somthing wrong in using wild bass as bait. Yes bass anglers are a special breed, to catch sizable bass from the shore on a regular basis the bass angler has to posess almost super natural water craft instinkts.A picture bilds in his or her mind of the tides, wind direction, time of year I could go on and on.There are not many chuck it and chance it anglers who regualy catch sizable bass.

BASS MEMBER

IGFA Member.

Supporting ethical angling practices and wise use and conservation of fishery resources!

SACN Member.

NFSA Member.

Getting confused by politics!

MY LIST IS LONGER THAN YOURS!