les moncrieff

AThong

it was the only place i ever got excited the neerer i got ,we usually arrived late (cursed mrs) but the long walk to the sea got me going ,as you got nearer the smell of paraffin became stronger and the glow from lamps something to see .

never felt the same anywhere else and i'v night fished most of the south coast .

in the late 70's me and my mate would suddenly decide to go fishing so we left the pub raced home and threw the tackle in my sidecar (a zundapp scooter with one) and he rode his smelly 350 and off we'd go ,great fun but we usually caught little as we had to dig bait at the venue :D

we went the boat route as the years went on but it then became more of a chore than sport and vastly more expensive ,in the end we sold the boat when pompy mooring fees doubled and had the occasional trip out from hayling or brighton etc.

not been boat fishing for ten years since my bro moved to portishead

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

.... not been boat fishing for ten years since my bro moved to portishead

wanna join us on a Thursday out of Langstone/Hayling????

:rolleyes:

wrong time of month for money, too soon to be able to arrange "sitter" for mrs but thanks for the invite.

how much does a pitch cost nowadays? (preparing to be frightened :D )

strangely i cant find my leads any more (perhaps bro pinched them) but rod and reels are about somewhere

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Yes, I remember Les well. I remember when my fiance and I were first introduced to him, I looked up and said, "Christ, you are as big as they say!" "Yeah, I'm not wasting away, am I?"was his reply. I met him on several occasions after that being as I was involved with the other three members of The Moncrieff Rod Development Company and I still have a Hardy Tourney which was given to me for evaluation when it was first produced. I also had a Longbow which I gave to an American friend and which is used on the Pacific coast of Oregon to this day.

Obviously I fished the Dustbin at Dungeness - always with Vagabond and there are a few memories that still live with me from those days. The coldest night I have ever experienced, the night of my fluked fish, and the night of the guy who called us over to tell us that he had hooked the Dustbin Lid. I am sure that Vagabond remembers the incident and being as he gave the guy some advice on the matter I will leave him to to tell the story.

Edited by chevin

Politicians are not responsible for a country's rise to greatness; The people are.

The people are not responsible for a country's fall to mediocrity; the politicians are.

Obviously I fished the Dustbin at Dungeness - always with Vagabond and there are a few memories that still live with me from those days. The coldest night I have ever experienced, the night of my fluked fish, and the night of the guy who called us over to tell us that he had hooked the Dustbin Lid. I am sure that Vagabond remembers the incident and being as he gave the guy some advice on the matter I will leave him to to tell the story.

That's three stories you have landed me with :)

1......Can't remember the coldest night - there have been so many where you had to count your blessings when you got back home.

I can, however, recollect the windiest night. We parked the car by the lighthouse, unloaded the car, loaded up ourselves, and set off across the shingle. The wind seemed a bit wild, but not until we stepped over the shingle ridge at the top of the beach did the full force hit us. Chevin was wearing a big Barbour jacket. A freak gust filled the jacket like a spinnaker on a racing yacht, and Chevin was off the ground for two full strides - hanging in midair with his legs still plodding seawards ! (He was a slim young man in those days!)

2.....Which fluked fish was that ? - again, there have been so many :lol::lol::lol: (You walked into that one, mate)

3.....Mr Dustbinlid was fishing on my left, Chevin was on my right. Mr Lid was obviously a beginner, and when Chevin and I began catching fish, and he didn't, Mr Lid did the right thing and asked for advice. We put right the obvious things, and as the cod were well and truly in that night, it was not long before he was into a good fish.

"What shall I do" he asked "I can't wind in. I've hooked the lid of the dustbin" (that was a common enough joke in those days if you got snagged) Now I realised he was not snagged, that part of the beach was snag free, and besides his rod was going Nod, Nod, Nod - obviously in reponse to a cod, cod, cod.

"Clamp your thumb on the spool" I said, "and back slowly up the beach - the fish will come in OK, then walk back down, winding in as you go"

I then attended to my own gear and forgot Mr L.

A few minutes later a couple of furiously flapping 5 lb codling appeared out of the sea to my left and slid up the beach.

"Ah, good" I thought , and turned to congratulate the captor.

Nobody there !!

"Where's he gone?" I asked Chevin

The fish continued sliding and flapping up the beach, then stopped just below the top. But no sign of anybody - he must be halfway to Ashford by now. It was several minutes before Mr L re-appeared over the shingle ridge, reeling in as he came.

We had always "backed up" about ten yards at a time ourselves, then reeled in the slack and repeated the process, but here was the technique carried to its logical conclusion. (NB I used this on the Bronze Whaler in Namibia last year)

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

2.....Which fluked fish was that ? - again, there have been so many :lol::lol::lol: (You walked into that one, mate)

It was the night of the flounder or dab that came out of the wave just as I was going to cast and then later I hooked a bit of tackle that had two codling on the hooks. Both alive and kicking. I think that they were the only two real flukes I had at Dungy, but I guess that I probably made fish catching look so easy, some people would think that I was being a bit flukey! :D:D

Yeah that guy was a classic wasn't he, I still laugh when I think of him.

Politicians are not responsible for a country's rise to greatness; The people are.

The people are not responsible for a country's fall to mediocrity; the politicians are.

Barry Moncrieff Here - Son of Leslie Moncrieff - I have a DVD of my Dad and some of his Radio Talks - you are Welcome to have a Copy - I will need your Address - Mine is .......

Silverbow Cottage

Little Carharrack

Redruth

Cornwall TR16 5RS ............... Regards B Moncrieff .......... itsmonktr16@btinternet.com

Thanks Barry !!!

That was a real nice video you made on the DVD you sent me. You must spent a lot of time going through your dad's box of goodies to put it all together. That was very informative and a treasure for me, I now have quite a lot of info about your dad's magnificent achievements.

I would imagine the world would be interested that DVD of yours.... Les Moncrieff 1913-1987 ...

Would anyone be able to purchase from you... ?

thongy

Bite alarms, carp rods, baitrunners, and braid. Great for big bass on beach. I'm bringing my sofa next .....

I'm not sure Barry realises in how much esteem surfcasters/beach anglers hold up the name and reputation of his father.

Paul Kerry, Terry Carroll, John Holden, Dave Docwra and Neil MacKellow have influenced my angling experiences; but nothing compared to the impact Leslie Moncrieff had on me as a teenager.

Now, at least, I'm able to pass on the stuff I learned from them to others.

Thanks to your dad, Barry.

Ada :rolleyes:

• 8 months later...
Barry Moncrieff Here - Son of Leslie Moncrieff - I have a DVD of my Dad and some of his Radio Talks - you are Welcome to have a Copy - I will need your Address - Mine is .......

Silverbow Cottage

Little Carharrack

Redruth

Cornwall TR16 5RS ............... Regards B Moncrieff .......... itsmonktr16@btinternet.com

Barry,

Don't know if you will get this but is the offer still open?

I would love to see and hear the DVD, I'll happily pay postage and packing.

I learned the lay back cast from your dads writings and still use it as I have never mastered the pendulum (I'm about the same size as your dad by the way.

Cheers

Prof

Anyone read the chapter on Dungeness - The fishing of Dungeness written by Leslie Moncrieff. Which book is it in ? I would like to have a read. Is it on the net?

Cheers,

Andy

Not sure if this thread is still live or not.

I have the Mr Crabtree Gift Book from 1969 and it has several articles by Leslie Moncrief in it. There are a two or three on beach fishing (including Dungeness), a couple on boat fishing and one on lead making. I also have another article by him on cod fishing and casting in The Complete Guide to Sea Angling.

Anyone who wants them copied (in strict accordance with copywrite rules of course), please let me know.

Regards

Prof