Radar

ACKOMEISTER

Gilbo, at the height above the water that you will be able to mount the radar reflector you will not be visible on a commercial radar screen at more than about 500 yards, provided the operator has the range on the set turned down to 1 mile range - most ships use 3 miles range as it serves the purpose for picking up navigation buoys.

At 500 yards you will be in the radar shadow of the bow - so still invisible to the radar.

The radar signal given off by your reflector at near enough water level will only be visible in flat calm conditions - in fog you might have an eagle eyed operator sharp enough to pick up your image, but I doubt it as most watchkeepers now are not that skilled. Something like a coastguard cutter, or a lifeboat (possibly) or even a Naval ship might pick you up - but only at very close range - too close to be able to manoevre in time!!

In any kind of a wave your signal will be lost in the troughs of the waves, and so you will blend into the surface clutter, as your target will come and go on the screen and so be disregarded.

The silly foil hat picture is actually about the best radar signal giver for a kayak yet devised - another thing that was tested was a saucepan (from the camping kit) and that gave off a good signal - leading to the trying of a foil lined hat. The worrying thing was, that the coastguard could see the signal, but a fishing boat using the identical system could not even though they had the gain set the same and on the same range - this was down to the radar interpretation of the operators. The coastguard operator was better trained than the fishing skipper. Again the maximum range of visibility on the radar was about 800 yards in perfectly flat conditions.

If you fit it, for heavens sake don't rely on it to keep you out of trouble. If you hear or see a vessel approaching on a collision course - get out the way FAST. The chances are they will NOT have seen you, radar reflector or no.

It doesn't matter anyway. My mate Bernie works on UK coasters month on, month off and he reckons there's no one awake on the bridge between dockings. It's like an aeroplane, once they're on their way it's all switched to auto-pilot and they bugger off dowstairs for some R&R. At best there might be some Philipino cleaner polishing the brass.

The best thing to remember if you are ust about to get run down by a humongous ship is to hoist a bit of cloth and video yourself shouting: "Sail before steam!!!" At least then your heirs will get a better payout.

Regards, Clive

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

if the rain stops foto's will be posted today, i'm so excited can't wait to get on the water and test it..........................

we can't wait either

would love to be there to see you paddle at 9 knots :clap2:

another thread please :thumbs:

suggestions include:

1. Going to buy two frenzys for pair trawling,any ideas?

2.Intend fixing a jet engine to my P13-do you think it would make it unstable?

and I'm sure the lads can think of a few too :thumbs:

Team Ocean Kayaks U.K.

Kayaks: Necky vector,Flame SPTW

previous Kayaks:Yellow Ocean Kayaks Caper,Flame Prowler 13,Sunrise Ocean Kayaks Prowler 15 Trident, Perception Dancer XT

assisted rescues---5

longest paddle:65 miles

top speed under sail 11.1mph

3. Attaching footsraps to a P15 for use with a kite.

4. Adapting a Kea for use as a beam trawler.

5. Fitting a sail to turn it into a yacht.

Oh, No. 5 has been done.

Wetter than an otter's pocket.

The trawling idea is not such a funny one, we have tried this method last summer, we started with a sandeel net which worked very well between two yaks. This summer we intend to use a 100ft top surface gill net. I f you want ideas that appear silly but infact have worked get you heads around this one . last summer on a 13.5 mtr tide we were off cardiff and the tide was ripping 8 to 9 nts. we actually got one of the boys up onto his bare feet yak water sking it drew a large crowd of people on penarth pier.

Dreamer, you know you are a dreamer

Well can you put your hands in your head, oh no!

I said dreamer, you're nothing but a dreamer

Well can you put your hands in your head, oh no!

I said "Far out, - What a day, a year, a laugh it is!"

You know, - Well you know you had it comin' to you,

Now there's not a lot I can do

Dreamer, you stupid little dreamer;

So now you put your head in your hands, oh no!

I said "Far out, - What a day, a year, a laugh it is!"

You know, - Well you know you had it comin' to you,

Now there's not a lot I can do.

Take a dream on a Sunday

Take a life, take a holiday

Take a lie, take a dreamer

dream, dream, dream, dream, dream along...

:rolleyes:

Edited by Martin Hurst

Ok Prowler 13

Great,you're a gillnetter to boot,that will make you real popular :schmoll:

hope it was meant as a joke like the rest of it :thumbs:

Team Ocean Kayaks U.K.

Kayaks: Necky vector,Flame SPTW

previous Kayaks:Yellow Ocean Kayaks Caper,Flame Prowler 13,Sunrise Ocean Kayaks Prowler 15 Trident, Perception Dancer XT

assisted rescues---5

longest paddle:65 miles

top speed under sail 11.1mph

No no joke have just been through a nasty divorce ,, wife left me she said she was fed up of me spending all my time making up new inventions.Have a massive solicitors bill to pay...Its only for that one month of the year when the tuna come off flat holmes island...then the net will be put away til next year,.....