Mullet

Matt Baldwin

Congratulations Matt, a fantastic fish. :thumbs::clap2::thumbs::clap2::thumbs::clap2:

Fishing seems to be my favorite form of loafing.

"Even a bad day of fishing is better than a good day of work."

I know the joy of fishes in the river through my own joy, as I go walking along the same river.

What do you think if the float does not dip, try again I think.

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Dave

I am here! Great fish Matt! Brillant! I had a 6lber the other day but that makes mine look a bit silly! well done!

Looking forward to taking you to the cleaners yet again down in the weymouth comp Dave & Andy! Not really i am actually quite scared it was close last time! :unsure:

Hi Matt,

Did you get any scales from the fish?

(Mullet lose their scales very easily, and usually leave one or two souveniers in the net etc)

The scales should give a good indication of the age of the fish, which would be interesting to know.

Winter, when they are not feeding, shows as a very narrow growth ring, summer as a much wider ring, with the best summers producing the widest rings.

(In fact known good summers are usually clearly seen in the pattern of scales and are useful for 'calibrating' your visual count)

What I generally do is to scan a scale at high resolution, then print it out blown out to A4 size.

Then I mark each band on the printout with a pencil (though sometimes the screen display is brighter/clearer which helps you to define what you are seeing on the paper).

Then it's just a matter of counting the pencil marks (much easier than trying to squint at the scale itself with a magnifyng glass!)

Bear in mind too that if a scale is lost from the fish, a new one will grow in it's place, but missing the ealier growth bands, so it's well to check two or three scales.

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

Well done mate Bl00dy awesome fish!

Im going to buy you a beer when I see you, Oh I forgot your under age ;)

PHEW

I supose Im going to have to call you Mr Baldwin from now on.

Joking aside we are all proud of you

Someone once said to me "Dont worry It could be worse." So I didn't, and It was!

انا آكل كل الفطائر

I made a vow today, to never again argue with an Idiot they have more expieriance at it than I so I always seem to lose!