Great White Shark Attacks A Hobie Kayak

SpeciMan

What's love got do do with it?

Can't even get that right can you. You should have wrote 'What's love got to do, got to do with it'. Mind you, full marks for correct usage of the apostrophe.

Wetter than an otter's pocket.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've seen one. I swear to the God you don't believe in. Except it was a ****ing Great White, big bugger it was. I've seen it brought in on a 15ft boat after it got tangled in nets and died. My cousin's husband was the skipper.

Mind you, it was in South Africa and he was working for the NSB so it has all the relevance of half the posts on here (ie not much).

Now, all this 'Never' talk is nonsense. Before the industrial revolution Great Whites were a not-infrequent occurence in the Bristol Channel. This comes up time and again and I really must check back through all my shark books to find the specific reference so as to quote a valid source. Many moons ago I was rather interested in all things sharky and became somewhat knowledgeable on them. Right down to dissecting them etc. Sadly that was half a lifetime away and though the books remain on my shelf they have not been read in years. What I can say is that Cacharadon Cacharias is a temperate region shark, not a tropical shark. It is a 'mackerel shark' (Lamniforme) - as are Porgies and Makos which we have here. It's found in waters between 12-24 degrees, which fits most of the UK. It's scoffs seals, which we have in abundance. So why haven't we seen one caught? Well, largely because no-one fishes for them. I dare say that someone specifically targetting them in areas that suit their preferred habitat would, sooner or later, get one. Richi more than likely.

Can't even get that right can you. You should have wrote 'What's love got to do, got to do with it'. Mind you, full marks for correct usage of the apostrophe.
I was tempted, but thought better off it. Misuse of the apostrophe would have got you a pair of bloody sore hands from the tawse when I was at school, they should bring it back

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

I've seen one. I swear to the God you don't believe in. Except it was a ****ing Great White, big bugger it was. I've seen it brought in on a 15ft boat after it got tangled in nets and died. My cousin's husband was the skipper.

Mind you, it was in South Africa and he was working for the NSB so it has all the relevance of half the posts on here (ie not much).

Now, all this 'Never' talk is nonsense. Before the industrial revolution Great Whites were a not-infrequent occurence in the Bristol Channel. This comes up time and again and I really must check back through all my shark books to find the specific reference so as to quote a valid source. Many moons ago I was rather interested in all things sharky and became somewhat knowledgeable on them. Right down to dissecting them etc. Sadly that was half a lifetime away and though the books remain on my shelf they have not been read in years. What I can say is that Cacharadon Cacharias is a temperate region shark, not a tropical shark. It is a 'mackerel shark' (Lamniforme) - as are Porgies and Makos which we have here. It's found in waters between 12-24 degrees, which fits most of the UK. It's scoffs seals, which we have in abundance. So why haven't we seen one caught? Well, largely because no-one fishes for them. I dare say that someone specifically targetting them in areas that suit their preferred habitat would, sooner or later, get one. Richi more than likely.

I have seen several. The last one was back in '83 or '84 and it was a big old boy too. However that was off the coast of Dampier, Western Australia. He or she was pretty much full grown. It used to come round about dusk every night, do a couple of laps round our ship and then disappear into the gloom only to return thw next evening. I also agree that there is no real reason why they should not be found in our waters. The sea temperature is in the right range and we have plenty of seals for them to eat but still no good sightings. I can't even remember any anecdotal evidence of a corpse being washed up on the beach. I also like you believe that never is a long, long time, but until I see proper evidence of their existance in UK waters then I will continue to suspend my belief, if that's all the same with you.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!

Science... Body of Knowledge ,The search for a definative answer, The truth. :rtfm:

Yeah right! thats until there is better knowledge, a better answer and a different truth :oops:

Thats right mate. Being a scientist means not having entrenched views about ANYTHING. It means that if another scientist discovers something that disproves something that one has believed in all ones life one has to change ones views, or become irrelevant, outdated in ones field.

Folks used to think that the Earth was flat, Eratosthenes proved it was a sphere.

Folks used to think that the Earth was at the centre of the solar system, Copernicis proved that it was the sun that was at the centre of the solar system.

Folks used to think that the Sun was at the centre of the universe, now we know that the sun is just an ordinary star, orbiting an ordinary little spiral galaxy and that the universe has no centre. Some theorise that even the universe is not unique, that we inhabit just one universe in a multiverse of countless other universes spread over 11 or more different dimensions. The search for new knowledge will never halt, we will never know all there is to know, and we are all richer for it.

Edited by corydoras

Thats right mate. Being a scientist means not having entrenched views about ANYTHING. It means that if another scientist discovers something that disproves something that one has believed in all ones life one has to change ones views, or become irrelevant, outdated in ones field.

Folks used to think that the Earth was flat, Eratosthenes proved it was a sphere.

Folks used to think that the Earth was at the centre of the solar system, Copernicis proved that it was the sun that was at the centre of the solar system.

Folks used to think that the Sun was at the centre of the universe, now we know that the sun is just an ordinary star, orbiting an ordinary little spiral galaxy and that the universe has no centre. Some theorise that even the universe is not unique, that we inhabit just one universe in a multiverse of countless other universes spread over 11 or more different dimensions. The search for new knowledge will never halt, we will never know all there is to know, and we are all richer for it.

The earth is flat, I live in the fens :D

I swear to the God you don't believe in.
I meant to ask, which one? ;) There are a helluva lot of gods out there and I don't believe in any of them. We are all born as atheists you know. Religious beliefs are on the whole foisted upon one by ones parents, whether one wants it or not.

I meant to ask, which one? ;) There are a helluva lot of gods out there and I don't believe in any of them. We are all born as atheists you know. Religious beliefs are on the whole foisted upon one by ones parents, whether one wants it or not.

Allah of course. There is no God but Allah and Mohammed is his Prophet. I thought everyone knew that?

By not believeing in God there is no God. You gotta have faith. If you have faith, and believe in Him, then He is real. He is also uppercase.

We are indeed born atheist. We are also born bisexual and illiterate. Your pint being?

Buxketboy, that is the best damned comment I've heard in ages. Incidentally, have you read Waterland by Graham Swift?

Allah of course. There is no God but Allah and Mohammed is his Prophet. I thought everyone knew that?

By not believeing in God there is no God. You gotta have faith. If you have faith, and believe in Him, then He is real. He is also uppercase.

We are indeed born atheist. We are also born bisexual and illiterate. Your pint being?

Buxketboy, that is the best damned comment I've heard in ages. Incidentally, have you read Waterland by Graham Swift?

Ahh! Ok, you just have to believe, because you've got to believe. I think I'll have to talk to my Pastor about that.

Don't worry I won't try to convert you into being an atheist, I'm not the evangelical type. If reading the bible hasn't made you one, little that I say could.

I would dispute that we are born bisexual, but not in this thread. I don't drink much but my pint when I have one is a Murphy's, failing that a Guinness ;)

Sorry about the lower case bit, but that is not going to change. Even the tawse could not get me to capitalise god. Sorry but I don't beleive in allah or Mohammed, Peace and Blessings Be Upon Him either. I'm sure allah won't mind though, I don't believe in woden, freyja, toth, quetzalcoatl or any others.