Bottom Trawling

Leon Roskilly

No HA Im suggesting that bodies like NFSA are not fighting the causes they should be. Instead of sitting with DEFRA and dreaming up a useless RSA strategy why haven't they been campaigning on the real issues ?. Like I say Ill give you £1 for everytime you find the phrase "commercial discard" on the NFSA website.

That's assuming you can find the NFSA website. They like to keep it hidden you know :rolleyes:

Edited by glennk

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are so many things they could be doing for sea anglers yet they appear to have chosen the least relevant. Over the past 2 years they put their full weight behind this RSA strategy thinking they were delivering the goods for sea anglers. That's 2 years lost in my opinion where they could have been focussing on real issues that effect us all.

I couldn't find the thread where this was being debated, but I did come across this:

http://www.underwatertimes.com/news.php?ar..._id=68170549102

Now heading for covettp://www.anglersnet.co.uk/forums/mud-trails-caused-trawling-revealed-t75062.html&hl=mud+trailsr :unsure:

Here it is:

ttp://www.anglersnet.co.uk/forums/mud-trails-caused-trawling-revealed-t75062.html&hl=mud+trails

Seems standard practice for the more "driven" groups like Pew to make sure their material keeps reappearing (minus any such nonsense as peer review or individual criticism of their methods or motives ;) )

The guys that came up with this look to me to be PEW through and through. They take the dollar, can rely on the kind of cash that makes the uk commercials or RSA look a joke.

You brought this up Leon, so would be interested to hear YOUR views on the significance of trawler pictures from the yellow river estuary compared to our waters?

Chris

Help predict climate change!

http://climateprediction.net

Jaffa

Why do you find it so difficult to interpret evidence of various sorts for yourself.

You are so quick to point at various organisations like this Mr Pew or NFSA or ... or ...

in fact any group which seems to not agree with what you want to read.

Was it Mrs Thatcher (cough, splutter) who first said 'Rejoice! Just rejoice'?

In your case, rejoice that you can make up your own mind about these matters.

I've noticed that every time something even slightly controversial comes up, you want to know - who started it, what was the date, is it a thinly veiled conspiracy? Is it PC, but most important to your views is ' Does it favour the commercial industry rather than the other 'stakeholders' who use the sea?'

Come on Jaff, just for once stay 'stum' or put your own spin on it if you must.

B)

Jaffa

Why do you find it so difficult to interpret evidence of various sorts for yourself.

You are so quick to point at various organisations like this Mr Pew or NFSA or ... or ...

in fact any group which seems to not agree with what you want to read.

Was it Mrs Thatcher (cough, splutter) who first said 'Rejoice! Just rejoice'?

In your case, rejoice that you can make up your own mind about these matters.

I've noticed that every time something even slightly controversial comes up, you want to know - who started it, what was the date, is it a thinly veiled conspiracy? Is it PC, but most important to your views is ' Does it favour the commercial industry rather than the other 'stakeholders' who use the sea?'

Come on Jaff, just for once stay 'stum' or put your own spin on it if you must.

B)

Thank you for your opinion on my ability to interpret evidence or otherwise. In respect for Elton and the forum I will refrain from expressing just what i think about your abilities ;)

Thank you for also pointing out that the multi million pound lobby groups financed by the Pew trust are in fact just nice "Mr Pew" :rolleyes:

You have lost me a bit with the Thatcher stuff so im afraid I'll just going to have to ignore that bit .

Your idea that i think everythings a "thinly veiled conspiracy" is alien to me, but if you believe it then im happy for you :rolleyes: . I

've posted on these forums for a few years now; been through the bit where some people thought Kayak fishing was a mad idea that would never take off ! :D Seen the worst of the anti salmon farming brigades more extreme elements eventually get shown for what they are in court.

Your entitled to your view HA but im getting a bit fed up of the personal attacks that you stoop to when someone disagrees with what you say. FWIW you have me down as a hybrid angler/commercial; you'd better add hybrid angler/ commercial/fishfarmer/ tropical fish retailer. Then go do the same for every other reader poster and you may be amazed at all the hybrids that go to make up angling, and the fact that not all of them think like you .

Chris

Your entitled to your view HA but im getting a bit fed up of the personal attacks that you stoop to when someone disagrees with what you say. FWIW you have me down as a hybridngler/commercial; you'd better add hybrid angler/ commercial/fishfarmer/ tropical fish retailer.

Good Lord ... that's some CV you have there.

Personal attacks?

Nah, just bored with your perennial defence of anyone who slings a net; no matter what the end product and outcomes.

I hope I'm entitled to ask for you to refute the stuff you dislike or disbelieve, instead of just reeling off your endless and quite often pointless questions regarding any suggestions that our own struggling commercial fleet is dwindling away to nothing because of actions of every other Tom, Dick and Harry, rather than fair and square on the commercial fishermen and merchants themselves.

Sometimes I just wish you come out with some substance to support your own attacks on the widely held beliefs of many RSAs that the present trends in the industry ought to be looked at logically and some solutions found for the destructiveness that irresponsible fishing by the UK fishing fleet has brought to inshore fish stocks and the ecosystems which support them.

I try to avoid anything personal against you but just ask that you consider more seriously some of the evidence and data provided by the concerned recreational anglers on this forum and which are posted because we fear one group of so-called 'stakeholders' is hell-bent on the destruction of its own resource base.

<_<

many RSAs that the present trends in the industry ought to be looked at logically and some solutions found for the destructiveness that irresponsible fishing by the UK fishing fleet has brought to inshore fish stocks and the ecosystems which support them.

evidence and data provided by the concerned recreational anglers on this forum and which are posted because we fear one group of so-called 'stakeholders' is hell-bent on the destruction of its own resource base.

<_<

The one that irritates me is the discard one, in particular the infamous bbc video where the discard for the 'prawn fishermen' was 99% every thing else and one third of a bucket of prawn. Can't say iv'e seen any other reporting on that or comments from our leaders 'cept directly before the quota roll out. Left wondering if we will see the same at the end of this year at the earliest, just before............. :)

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Angling is better than politics, ban politics from angling.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Recipie's for mullet stew more than welcomed.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

I try to avoid anything personal against you but just ask that you consider more seriously some of the evidence and data provided by the concerned recreational anglers on this forum and which are posted because we fear one group of so-called 'stakeholders' is hell-bent on the destruction of its own resource base.

<_<

Believe it or not HA I spend a lot of time thinking about what the likes of IB and Leon post, and thats not just to think of a way of **** them off or attempting to make them look bad ;)

I HAVE thought a lot about what is said on this forum, am quite capable of reading a science journal, etc etc but however strange it might seem to you, a lot of the issues raised by the "concerned RSA anglers group" make no sense whatsoever to me , so im going to ask questions.

Lets start with the Golden Mile, which strikes me as the ultimate idiot idea of cheap politicians but has big problems which should be discussed. ;)

IIMHO you are missing the real point; what was done to Uk commercials will be done to the RSA sector because for all the talk they have litte influence unless they buy into the green spin, and then its just a question of time.

Say goodbye to freedom ;)

Say goodbye to freedom

Not bloody likely!

It's those very freedoms which will enable the rationalization of the 'the industry' in such a way that your generation's kids and mine will have access to better recreational angling from beaches, harbours, piers and boats around the UK.

If you look carefully through your tainted spectacles, you'll see this going on now with a contraction of all branches of the commercial sector.

Trouble is we've started 20 years too late when compared to the countries which took action and appraised just what the effects of intensive and destructive fishing methods meant for their futures.

<_<