520lber caught!

tyurke

you used the very word I was averse to using over the past week or so, "jealousy". Now the word has been broached then gloves off. Most of the bleaters who moaned about a 17 year olds catch of a lifetime would probably have **** a brick if it had taken their bait. That assumes they ever had the cahonies to put a bait out for it in the first place. Leave them to catch their pout and coalie and stuff the idea that "thats all we`ve got because of the commercials" If thats all youve got go fish elsewhere or jump on a big silver bird and enjoy. Some pratt will now come on and say I`d rather see a dozen or two 3lb bass swim away to breed as catch a 500lb+ sword. Bull, no you would'nt you`d rather catch the sword but aint got the cahonies to try. I`d rather stick the same bass on a 12/0 and use them as six gill bait (live)

Stan4massey, what a crock of ****.

What on earth is all the talk of 'cohonies' about, does catching a sword make a man out of someone? Big is best.......tripe. Have you got some issues about your masculinity?

Although I have expressed differences with our American cousins, I have no less respect for some of these guys who spend a great deal of time locating their swords and getting them to take a bait. Surely this is the real challenge of angling, finding the fish and getting a run. Other than going after big bass I have spent some time trying to catch a 4lb perch from a local stretch of river. I can assure you the challenge of finding and catching one of these is far greater than jumping on a plane and hiring a local proffesional skipper to put me over a 500lb sword.

By chance, this past week I have been talking with my brother about where to go in the world for next years fishing holiday. The one thing we both agreed on was that marlin, swords etc were out. They are quite simply an irrelevance to us in terms of personal achievement. As a 'tourist angler' the challenge is simply not there, our involvement would be purely opening our wallets and sweating in the sun with a bent rod. It can be assumed having seen pics of foreign captures reported in the Sea Angler one does not have to be a superhuman to land most of them. Top of the list at present is Islamorada, self drive boat hire is not a problem and the shore fishing can be superb with a little research.

No doubt at this point you can put on your deepest voice and tell me I haven't got the 'cohonies'. lol

• Replies 403
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sharkbyte,

Your fishing interest are in light tackle angling, so large pray are not for you. The Florida Key's is great for your persuit. Let us know when you are headed down, be glad to help you in any way.

Edited by BOTTOMFISH

Now that I have my electricity back from the Hurricane!

I have also been following this thread from the beginning after reading on the forum in the US.

There are always going to be exceptions, but most of us in South Florida really appreciate the fishing resource we have in our own back yard. There are not many places in the world were you can get 3 or 4 shots at a swordfish after sailfishing in the afternoon. Or catch bonefish and tarpon within sight of downtown miami. Snapper, grouper, pompano, dolphin,wahoo, mackreal etc....

We are all on this type of forum for our love of fishing.

I have been swordfishing for 5 years now and have realized that this is the true gladiator of the sea. These fish figh harder pound for pound than any other fish i have fought. I have gone 4 trips in a row without catching 1 while getting at least 10 bites! Then you could get 6 in a row. It takes alot of time, effort, preperation to fish for swordfish. Taking a picture with the fish hanging is an accomplishment of your effort. Besides tournaments the only reason people have pictures is they killed the fish for food. I am a firm believer in conservation, i through back many legal fish of many species. But I do like to eat fish, so i kill what i will eat. Anything that is not to be eaten is released.

I have grown up fishing my whole life in South Florida and the Keys. When I was a kid in the Keys the fishing was unreal! I also remember coming home from college and you couldn't catch a kingfish if your life depended upon it. Since that time with the conservation, which most recreational anglers use kingfish have come back huge! We are now seeing crazy #'s of sailfish the past few seasons due to conservation measures. When the longlining was stopped the fish rebounded. Don't get bent out of shape when fish are hung, taken a picture and then eaten. Put that effort into stopping the slaughter of those type of fish by the commercial interst, not the recreational angler.

• 2 months later...

http://216.87.159.39/news/default.asp?mode=shownews&id=10140

"Beginning Jan. 1, Texas anglers will no longer have to kill a fish to have it considered for a state record.

The Texas Parks and Wildlife Department has established an additional awards category in its angler recognition program b a catch and release category that requires only a total length for certain fish.

TPWD Angler Recognition Awards Program Coordinator Joedy Gray said the new category is in addition to the existing weight-based records, which will be continued.

The new category was inspired by real-life events, beginning with Scott Graham`s 83-inch Tarpon in 2003. Then, in July of the same year, Fabian Morales caught an 89-inch tarpon on a fly rod followed by Allan Reiter`s 90-inch tarpon in June 2005.

None of the men had purchased the $120 tarpon tag currently required to legally possess a silver king.

The official state record for tarpon was set more than three decades ago with a fish that measured 86.25 inches and weighed-in at 210 pounds.

Reiter, who had been fishing for king mackerel between the Port Aransas jetties, fought his fish for more than 4 hours.

Other requirements for the category include a photo of the fish next to a clearly marked tape measure or measuring stick and a photo of the angler with the fish.

Another person must witness the live release.

Another way to catch and release a state record fish is to weigh it boat- or dock-side on hand-held scales certified by a commercial scale calibration company or the International Game Fish Association.

The state began accepting such record applications in September 2002.

While any fish may be released after weighing, only fish currently eligible for a Big Fish award will be accepted in the new Catch and Release State Record category.

The non-record Catch and Release certificate will be discontinued.

Also new in 2006, TPWD has dropped the requirement that freshwater species be weighed in order to be eligible for a Big Fish award. "

TL - leon

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust