new reel??

Happy Dude

it's my birthday soon and my missus wants to buy me a new reel but i can't make up my mind between a diawa SL40VSH...i think its called, and a shimano torium 20, they are about the same price but i could do with a little info on these 2 newish reels

its for rock fishing not distance work,

thanks

Unbearable, isn't it? The suffering of strangers, the agony of friends. There is a secret song at the center of the world, and its sound is like razors through flesh.

WalkingPinhead.gif

Happy Dude:

it's my birthday soon and my missus wants to buy me a new reel but i can't make up my mind between a diawa SL40VSH...i think its called, and a shimano torium 20, they are about the same price but i could do with a little info on these 2 newish reels

its for rock fishing not distance work,

thanks

:cool: Go for the Daiwa, it's a great reel, you don't see that many around because the

SL 20&30SH's are so popular and £25 cheaper. It's real quality and has a super clutch and is really quite rugged and casts like a dream. Many shops have them on special offer at the moment so have a look, you will be pleasantly surprised.

Guest jay_con

Is the 40 the bigger brother of a 30?. I struggle with slosh. I wish they would get rid of thit bit that makes it difficult to get your hand round them.

Norm - do they cast better than the 30? because mine is poo for casting with.

Hi Les, I had a few casts with the Daiwa in the summer, and thought they were superb....it was coupled to an Axcellerator, and had a 1lb weight, and a whole mackeral for bait, so easy to cast...(I use an Abu 10000,for the same type of work). But.....have used a Torium once for a few drops on a boat trip to Northumberland, love them too..You can feel the quality. :D ..but dont know about them for casting....If it were up to me, I would have them both..... :D:D

In sleep every dog dreams of food,and I, a fisherman,dream of fish..

Theocritis..

For Fantastic rods,and rebuilds. http://www.alba-rods.co.uk/

The SLX/SHV ones have a different spool bearing system which appears to be like the ABU ultracast one, so probably better for casting. I think the handle & gearbox are too big on them though.

[ 22. November 2004, 12:46 PM: Message edited by: Toerag ]

Like Fresh coffee? www.Bean14.com

****@@WINTER@@****:

Is the 40 the bigger brother of a 30?. I struggle with slosh. I wish they would get rid of thit bit that makes it difficult to get your hand round them.

Norm - do they cast better than the 30? because mine is poo for casting with.

:cool: They are super for casting, better than the SL20/30SH, although the SL30SH shouldn't be that bad, have a look inside, you may have a problem. They do a 20-30 & 40, the 40 is more of a boat reel, uptide, heavy ground sort of reel. Smooth clutch and gears, great for big fish. Well worth the extra IMHO. :D

thanks for the replies lads,

looks like the daiwa wins,

i already have a sl30 which cast very well considering its 10 years old and never gets cleaned, but i want one to fill with 30lb straight through for the rocks, which will probably never get cleaned either....there....beat you to it diabalos..... :P

my mate bought a couple of toriums for a trip to mozambique and says they cast very well but he had to use heavy oil in them as they have no centrifugal brakes, a boat reel by design i think

Unbearable, isn't it? The suffering of strangers, the agony of friends. There is a secret song at the center of the world, and its sound is like razors through flesh.

WalkingPinhead.gif

Les, I am VERY jealous, But if one more reel appears in this house, I will have to make room for it, by moving out.....so the wife says anyway.... :D:D

In sleep every dog dreams of food,and I, a fisherman,dream of fish..

Theocritis..

For Fantastic rods,and rebuilds. http://www.alba-rods.co.uk/