Reading/Editting RAW files from Nikon D60

Guest Jan V

Well, I have some huge RAW files from my Nikon D60 on my PC and found that Photoshop CS2 wouldn't open them. Did some research, and from what I am seeing, I would need CS3 or CS4 for Photoshop to recognize and open these files? Anyone else have the D60 or higher and use the Photoshop CS2 programs. I went to the Adobe website and scanned the downloads and they made it look I had to have CS4. I have searched numerous forums, etc, and see no easy solution here. I could buy the software Nikon offers for free for 2 months.

Anyone with experience, suggestions, etc.?

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not 100% sure this is what you'd need Jan but it sounds like it. Try these pages.

What its about.

http://www.adobe.com/products/dng/

What camera's are compatible.

http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop/cameraraw.html

And the download (I think this is the one lol, you might want to have a look around the site yourself, but I think this is it).

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/tha...amp;fileID=3932

rb_getcreative.gif

Mick, the download required is not written for CS2. At least that is what I am reading into this:

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=3896 Being this is on the Adobe site, I would hope it to be correct.

A link on there sends you here: http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop/cameraraw.html where they say the upgrade needed isn't compatible with CS3 (so assuming also not CS2). Quick a few bucks to upgrade up to CS4....

Thanks for the research you did. It just appears that Adobe hasn't been keeping up with the new cameras very well or at least not back-dating updates to somewhat older versions. I hadn't even heard "CS4" and was surprised to see it out there. Until I am comfortable with using my new camera, putting out a ton of money for photo editting software doesn't seem prudent. Newt is pushing me to put up a couple I took tonight and I'm still debating. I got a couple interesting shots of the moon but couldn't begin to tell you how I did it.

Edited by Jan V

Hi Jan,

First of all good shooting with your new camera, as to your question regarding RAW files, i am not 100% sure as i do not work in RAW, but i believe that to open your RAW file you need a small piece of additional software to achieve that.

This software i seem to remember is like an interface/bridge between your photoshop creative suite and your type of camera's RAW file, i think it is available free. :unsure:

I am sure one of the Knowing shooters will be along to give you the definitive answer in the mean time stay with us mortals and shoot in jpeg. :thumbs::D

PS. Put them up.

PSS. there is a book which may help as well, "Real World Camera Raw with Photoshop CS2" by Bruce Fraser.

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=dxeaMiT...=result#PPP1,M1

Edited by medwaygreen

Fishing seems to be my favorite form of loafing.

"Even a bad day of fishing is better than a good day of work."

I know the joy of fishes in the river through my own joy, as I go walking along the same river.

What do you think if the float does not dip, try again I think.

Well, I have some huge RAW files from my Nikon D60 on my PC and found that Photoshop CS2 wouldn't open them. Did some research, and from what I am seeing, I would need CS3 or CS4 for Photoshop to recognize and open these files? Anyone else have the D60 or higher and use the Photoshop CS2 programs. I went to the Adobe website and scanned the downloads and they made it look I had to have CS4. I have searched numerous forums, etc, and see no easy solution here. I could buy the software Nikon offers for free for 2 months.

Anyone with experience, suggestions, etc.?

Will this help Jan.

http://www.nikonimglib.com/nefcodec/

Cheers Fred

my mind not only wanders-- sometimes it leaves completely.

Updated 7/3/09

http://sites.google.com/site/pomfred/

jan pick what you think is the best and put it up for helpful comment ,everyone knows you have a new camera ,perhaps it may be useful if you also put up the exif data,wont mean much to me but the guys may be able to help you better ,just a thought love.

nurse.gif

AKA Nurse Jugsy ( especially for newt)

Jan, not sure whether this is any help, ..I have just taken a pic in RAW on my Nikon and put the card in the pc and it downloaded OK. I saved the file, and R/C and "opened with CS2". Pic appeared in CS2 ready for editing.

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

I've had a google around and found out the following info for you, probably some you'll already know or will have found yourself.

The last update for Adobe Camera RAW compatible with Photoshop CS2 was v3.7, which as you have found does not support the Nikon D60. An upgrade to Photoshop CS3 will enable you to use your RAW (Nikon call them NEF files) files with Photoshop.

With your D60 you should have got a free program called "VIEWNX" (if you did not get it with your camera go and look for it at the Nikon website), this should convert your NEF(RAW) files to either TIFF or JPEG, which you can then use in photoshop, I would advise TIFF.

Adobe also have a free DNG converter (DNG = Digital negative converter) that is a standalone application, ths will convert your NEF(RAW) files to a .DNG extension which will also open in Photoshop CS2 (<-- I found this info on another forum, so you would have to check it up at adobe.com). I have only used this briefly about three years ago so could not offer any further advice on it.

CaptureNX is apparently the tool of choice or appears to be favoured by most, giving good colour etc etc. I dont know what filetype it will save to but would always advise tiffs over jpegs for quality retention due to tiff being lossless, then you could open the tiffs in Photoshop to finalise editing for however you want to use them.

My own advice would be to upgrade to Photoshop CS3 or CS4, to have all you editing needs in one basket so to speak, but I am and always have been a photoshop nutter so thats an easy recommendation for me to make. I'm currently using Photoshop CS4, the latest version and now that its GPU powered the program whizzes along.

HTH

Steve...:)

There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs. - Ansel Adams

Focal Planet

I am floundering on this RAW thing, but not yet going under!!! :headhurt: I have put questions on other sites, they comback with 'use a RAW converter'? On the face of it I have a couple of problems, thats besides 'me' :blink:

One my computer 'Pentium IIII prosessor' seems to be at its limit with PS Elements 4? No one can confirm, but Elements 5 crashed it, and the computer the spec for Elements 7 is way above what I have, dual processor, 1 gig of ram . . . etc.

However, I have had it sugested that I can stay as I am and use a RAW converter, 'Raw Therapee' being sugested as one of the best freebees? I have also checked out that it will work with Nikon D40-60-80's So if im on the right track, 'JanV' can run the converter, instal the budget, but excelent 'Photo Shop Elements v ?', the same applies to my situation of course. Can any one confirm that I am not talking out of the back of my head! If I am where to go from here?

SW

PS

OK, I have down loaded the 29 page manual, give it a read and see what that says?

Edited by Sutton Warrior

Jan, not sure whether this is any help, ..I have just taken a pic in RAW on my Nikon and put the card in the pc and it downloaded OK. I saved the file, and R/C and "opened with CS2". Pic appeared in CS2 ready for editing.

Den

Which, Nikon, Den? My research has shown that in each new version of CS, Adobe has included additional cameras whose pictures can be read directly. The D60 doesn't appear until CS4 for the RAW image converter.