Spinning for Bass

Dave Powell

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can tell you what works for me but it may not work in your area.

I use either Ugly Stick lite spinning rods or ultra lights with Shimano Exage or Penn SSB 350 baitrunners loaded with 6lb to 12lb flurocarbon line. As for lures I couldn't get any that were heavy enough to cast or that resembled our bait fish so I had some custom made in weights up to 4 ounces. I feel that the lures available in this country are designed for the American market or to catch the fishermen, there are lures that are supposed to be spot on for bass like the Rapala J13 but I think their success is attributable to the number in use, your best bet is to ask around localy and find out what works in your area.

I have a 9' spinning rod, but a carp rod would work fine, small fixed spool reel, I have multipliers but prefer the fixed spools you can get a perfectly servicable one for under £20 often half that in discount stores (Trago Mills?!)

8lb main line straight to the lure, if you want one that catches regularly then try an abu toby, I use a 28 gm but it depends on the casting weight of the rod. They are reliable catchers everywhere Ive fished, they catch Mackerel, pollack bass and if youre in the right place salmon, which is what they were designed for I think.

Another option is using a bullet lead and using a red gill, get the trace as long as possible but so it doesnt tangle on casting, they are used in the Exe and catch well,

Where are you intending to fish?

Good luck! Dan

There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore like an idiot!

Its nice here! http://www.twfcorfu.com

After trying various combinations of rods and reels from several manufacturers. The end result was a 4 piece, 10 ft Daiwa Vulcan X, rated 10-60 grams casting weight, and a Daiwa Samurai 3550, 7i reel, loaded with 50lb Power-Pro braid.

I find that this is an excellent combination for both fresh water, river, drain and stillwater Pike lure fishing and for my Sea Bass beach and rock mark lure fishing.

This combination is very capable of handling lures from my favourite 1/2 ounce spinnerbaits, minnow and squid shaped crankbaits, and Yo-Zuri Hydro- Squirts, through to Salmo/Toothycritter, Sliders and Warriors. Although the later are medium weight Jerkbaits normaly used for Pike, they are also exceptional lures for Sea Bass.

For Sea Bass I find that virtually any natural pattern lure will work, especially those with a predominatly silver and blue colour combination. Roach, Skimmer or Mackerel patterns, being my favourites, but also includes lures from Ugly Duckling range in natural Bass and natural Tarpon patterns. If you experience difficult obtaining these lures locally, I can highly recommend the mail order service from www.lureshack.com

On a nice still evening as the light is fadeing,or early morning.Have a go at casting a Bubble Float about half full of water,with a gill on a 5ft trace.

Retrieve the bubble so it breaks the surface of the water,vary your speeds on the way in.

Just another option to try.

:)

Gareth.:

loaded with 50lb Power-Pro braid.

50-lb line? may as well just winch them in ?

Bit over kill isnt it? Next time you have 8lb line on your rod tie it to something solid and put the pressure on, you'll never break it.

Dan

[ 09. May 2004, 12:24 PM: Message edited by: Dan ]

There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore like an idiot!

Its nice here! http://www.twfcorfu.com

Hi Dave, welcome to AN.

I fish around the solent, 10' spinning rod rated 10-50g, small fixed spool loaded with 8lb nylon, and I fish almost exclusively with floating plugs for bass as my best spots are relatively shallow with a fairly rough bottom so a floating lure cuts down on losses considerably. I used to fish mostly with rapalas (J9, J11 and J13)and caught some good fish until abu brought out the terminator which is now my favourite lure (best catch last year 13 fish to 6lb in an hour). The best advise that I can give is put the hours in, concentrate on first and last light and try likely looking spots at different states of the tide until you build up a picture of your local area and keep notes of every trip so that you can spot patterns emerging. It takes time but can be very worthwhile. It took me 2 yrs of trial and error until I found my favourite spot which only fishes well at first light for about an hour and a half on tides of a given height but it's the nearest thing to guaranteed fishing I've ever come across. I fact if I was so inclined I could take orders for fish. The best thing is I've never seen anyone else fishing there..............Ah Bliss

best of luck

Paul

PS.If you find a good spot please put most of the fish back otherwise you can fish these localised marks out.

Yakity - Yak:

On a nice still evening as the light is fadeing,or early morning.Have a go at casting a Bubble Float about half full of water,with a gill on a 5ft trace.

Retrieve the bubble so it breaks the surface of the water,vary your speeds on the way in.

Just another option to try.

:)

must agree that this is very effective,especially on estuaries like the exe.sorry youre laid up with a bad cold, i would have thought it would have taken more than a cold to keep an exmouth lad down!!! :D:D:D