Fishing the West Coast of Scotland

Desmundo

Desmundo?

If you were to count the number of anglers per mile of coastline on the W of Scotland you`d think no-one did it? But look at the population of Western Scotland and you`ll see why. The coastline in immense!!!

Reccomended venues in this months angling press include?

Colvend, Balcary and Castle point. Dhoon and Serwick. Wigtownshire. Mull of Galloway,Port Patrick, Port Logan and Cairn Ryan. Newton and Prestwick. Stevenston promenade. Ballast bank at Troon. Largs and Skelmorlie. Waterfront and Custom house at Greenock, Bowling and Old Kilpatrick. The Bistro and Furnace on Loch Fyne. Loch Grimshader. Tob Valasay at Tobson plus Aird point. Loch Duich and Kishorn. Stoer and Achnahaird. Longberry, Freswick and Wick harbours.

Dunnet, Thurso and Sarnside. And that`s just shore fishing!!

Send Davy a line. He`s a tad closer than me.

Paul.

We don`t use J`s anymore!!

Thanks for your replies folks. I was a bit vague with the west coast wasn't I? I live in West Kilbride in North Ayrshire, but I haven't fished much during the winter for a few years. I've only recently got back into it. The Firth of Clyde where I stay used to be a good source of many species but seems to be pretty poor nowadays - so I hear anyway. Apparently years of trawling has depleted the stocks of cod, for example, so that there's not much left for us. By the list of venues you've suggested though, maybe it's not so bleak after all.

Hiya, Why not try the esplanade at Greenock, Either end is ok for coalies and codling, and there are some good flatties to be had. The big plus is it aint too far for you.

Cheers

Norrie :D

In sleep every dog dreams of food,and I, a fisherman,dream of fish..

Theocritis..

For Fantastic rods,and rebuilds. http://www.alba-rods.co.uk/

Reading this thread has brought back some great memories for me. When I was younger and fitter, in the 1970s, I fished a great deal on the west coast of Scotland, there was some damn good fish about then.Rhu narrows had some of the best fishing in those days, but alas, Ive heard its been trawled clean now in that area.

Some of the places Ive fished and thotoughly enjoyed were...Largs..Balcary..Castle point..Carrick castle..The Mull..Cairn ryan..Bowling and many more. Good luck in your adventures, and hope you enjoy it as much as I did...hoppy

My Wine cellar is empty, Well, the Bottles in there are...Hic

Hoppy, Hiya, Just saw that you are in H/pool, I wondered about the monkey. Is the Red Admiral still standing?? I used to spend many a September Weekend in that Pub. I had Friends who lived in Sheila Road. It looks as tho' you were coming up here when I was going down there....

Cheers

Norrie. :D

In sleep every dog dreams of food,and I, a fisherman,dream of fish..

Theocritis..

For Fantastic rods,and rebuilds. http://www.alba-rods.co.uk/

hi Norrie, yes "The Red" is still there, has changed very little on the outside, dont know about the inside tho, dont drink out much now.

I live just round the corner in a ground floor flat with our lass. Dont know shiela road??......do you mean shelly grove ? or selby grove (I use to live near there)

When I was doing a lot of sea fishing, I was one of the original group that formed "Hartlepool Pirates" SAC, I dont know if you were about here then, late seventies. :cool:

all the best hoppy

[ 13. January 2003, 11:29 PM: Message edited by: hoppy ]

My Wine cellar is empty, Well, the Bottles in there are...Hic