Abu 7000 tune-up

Satchmo

Does anybody know of a good website or anything that could show me how to take apart and tune-up an Abu 7000 multiplier. I bought it second-hand but it's behaving a bit oddly and I don't want to take it apart without knowing how to put it back together again. Any books or magazines available maybe?

Cheers

Perhaps I should explain the problem. Basically, when the drag is set and line is pulled off there is a sort of bumpy feel to it, like a car going over evenly spaced bumps on a road. Doesn't happen on retrieve, just on line going out against even a light drag. So, if anybody recognises that maybe they could tell me where to look. Thanks!

Satchmo:

Perhaps I should explain the problem. Basically, when the drag is set and line is pulled off there is a sort of bumpy feel to it, like a car going over evenly spaced bumps on a road. Doesn't happen on retrieve, just on line going out against even a light drag. So, if anybody recognises that maybe they could tell me where to look. Thanks!

It sounds like the drag has been set to maximum and stored like it. Always slacken off the drag before storing or when not in use. I would think the washers are distorted, check out the site mentioned earlier. All you will ever need to know about ABU reels.

Colin

freespace.virgin.net/dave.lumb/amb0...tics/7001sc.gif

The above link is a schematic of a 7001 LH

which is similar to the 7000 I have when I purchased new...Also, you can upgrade the disc drags without too much trouble.Good advice given to back off drag setting when not being used for a time...

Guest stevie cop

Satchmo

The drag on the Abu 7000 is supposed to click as line is taken from the spool. Is it the click that you are talking about? Being an Abu 7000, the click is very quiet and smooth, so it could be what feels like "bumps". You will only feel this when line is pulled off the spool against the drag. The reel runs silently when in free spool mode, and when in gear as line is wound on.

If you take your 7000 apart, you will see that they are built like tanks inside. Somehow, I don't think that you will find anything broken or worn inside your reel.

Good luck

Steve

Just a thought, it may be better to take it to your local tackle shop and have it serviced by the owner. My local shop charges £7.50, for that he completely strips the reel down cleans, oils and greases any bits that need doing and sets the reel back up. 99.9% of anglers say its just like having a new reel again. Obviously if new parts are needed then it is plus the cost of the part.

It is well worth the expence just think he has the experience and will know the reel inside out. Just think you will ALWAYS find a screw that wont move and scrape your knuckle when the screwdriver slips and it then chews the screw head up.

Just a thought..............

Steve,

I don't think it's the clicker, but then it's the only 7000 I've got so I can't compare it. It certainly doesn't feel like any other Abu reels I've got (6000, 6500s). It just feels like somethings 'wrong' somehow but otherwise it works perfect. I saw a website yesterday which talked about the 'well-known' bumpy drag on the 7000s but also said it could easily be fixed.

If you feel up to stripping the reel down, you need to look at the drag assembly. The concave washers should be evenly concave – set them concave face down on a flat surface – you should not be able to ‘rock’ them at all with the edge sitting flush to the surface all round. The non metallic washers should have a smooth surface – old reels that have not been properly looked after, can suffer from these surfaces becoming worn by salt/grit working into these areas so that the surface eventually takes on the appearance and feel of heavily scuffed leather. If this were the case, then the drag would not operate correctly and line pulled off under tension would feed off in a jerky fashion.

A shop will do this for you if you do not want to attempt it yourself. If you do, I suggest you draw a simple diagram of the reel as you take it apart – particularly the main gear spindle and drag assembly as this will prove invaluable in making sure the various washers go back in the right order and orientation – do not rely on the schematic that comes with the reel for this.

The best cleaning agent for bearings, gears, drag components etc is lighter fuel.

Another good tip, particularly when removing the circlip from the top of the main gear shaft (necessary in order to remove the handle, allowing the main side plate to be removed) is to place the reel, pliers and your hands in a plastic bag when removing it. This way, if the circlip springs away, it will be in the plastic bag where you can find it and not half way across the garage/kitchen/living room where you can’t.

{2008 Editor's Note: for Abu 7000 reels for sale, please click here}

"To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first, and call whatever you hit the target."