centre pin reel

dapper64

I recently borrowed a centre pin reel to do a bit of trotting for grayling,when put it on my rod the spool was loaded so the line came off the top :huh: ,I thought this was wrong because if you want to reel a fish in you would have to wind it clockwise.when I mentioned this to chap who lent it to me he it was loaded correctly,I watched john wilson using his and his line came off the bottom.Is there a right way? :headhurt:

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I recently borrowed a centre pin reel to do a bit of trotting for grayling,when put it on my rod the spool was loaded so the line came off the top :huh: ,I thought this was wrong because if you want to reel a fish in you would have to wind it clockwise.when I mentioned this to chap who lent it to me he it was loaded correctly,I watched john wilson using his and his line came off the bottom.Is there a right way? :headhurt:

With the line coming off the top, the line goes almost directly through the rings along the rod, reducing resistance and allowing the reel to feed line more efficiently.

However, winding back in the 'wrong way' takes some getting used to.

Many anglers prefer the more 'natural' way of feeding line off the bottom, allowing them to wind in the 'right' way.

Having tried for a while, using the reel with line off the top, I found it more comfortable going back to the line coming off the bottom, and it didn't seem to affect my catching :)

No 'right' or 'wrong' way, just the way that you prefer, though others might argue otherwise. :)

Edited by Leon Roskilly

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

I always use mine with the line coming off the bottom. If you have your line coming off the top of the spool you should stand on your head when fishing :wacko:;)

Being serious casting is limited and it feels all wrong reeling in backwards so my advice would be to have your line coming off the bottom of the spool.

Off the top for me.Gives much smoother feed especially with lighter stick floats.Also loaded this way means you can retrieve by "batting" the spool a lot more efficiently.

Budgie I bat the reel to retreive line and to do it backwards would be very alkward and uncomfortable to me. If it suites you though, great. Regarding casting I just can't imagine Wallis casting being very easy or possible with the line coming off the top of the spool. Also I have no problem with line release (smoothness) with line coming off the bottom of the spool.

Edited by tigger

Has anyone read any pre-fixed spool period (i.e. when there was no wrong way or right way to wind) documentation to see what was recommended?

Incidentally, do all fixed spool reel handles wind the same way?

Geoff

fishing with the line off the top is just Backwards

although it is just personal choice ,but as for the line comming off the top of the spool or bottom......its got to be better to go topless ,bottom's always better !

its just wrong in so many ways to fish with the line comming of the top !!!

1st'ly the whist natuelally rotates in a downwards arc easier than a upwards arc

2nd'ly when it comes to batting the drum to retreive line ,its best judged the naval way !

with the line comming off the top ,you bat the drum away from your navel which is just un-natural

with the line comming off the bottom you wind in a more natural way & a accustomed manner ,the same as you would a fixed spooled reel ,batting the drum towards your naval

turd'ly your seriously limiting your casting options as too which casts you can perform efficiantly

(oi No laghing in the back !)

as this video of it done in the proper manner shows how natural batting the drum to retrieve line is with the line exiting from the bottom of the drum and how much easier it is to Wally cast with the centrepin set so .(just ignore the plonker holding the reel & rod and his pathetic attempt to make the line flip over the backplate on a windy days fishing) it does have poor audio due to the blustery day it was filmed on .

Youtube Video ->

see how natural it is too bat the drum towards one's naval rather than away from it.see how amazed he is at a near 40yds cast as his float nearly ended up in the bush on the opposite bank

owls22dx.gif

Chavender
I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! hello.gif Steve

although that post was a little tong in cheek ,it still stands though ,that having the line off the bottom ,you wind in ,in the accustomed manner of a fixedspool reels ,

yes batting that reel is a little awkward as its a okuma kennet with a fixed line guard (although i can make the simplist things look awkward) which gets in the way a bit as do the handles ,but not enough to hinder the retreave ,after all its about spinning the spool to wind in the line .its was actually rather comfortable ,a few rapid taps and the float came gliding accross the surface.

that video was taken on my digi camera (inbetween catching roach) at a match on the idle nr doncaster ) ,I took it for this article on butchering a kennet reel

http://centrepins.yuku.com/topic/374?page=-1

and yes that plonker in the video is Me trying quite hard to mostly cast badly to get the line to flip over the back and tangle around the reels foot .so as to proove that the modification works ,but i accidently slipped a couple of good casts in ,all to the amousement of my fishing partner for the day

100_0712-1.jpg

Edited by chavender

owls22dx.gif

Chavender
I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! hello.gif Steve